Notices

Physical feelings first few days?

Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical feelings first few days?

What have others experienced? I tapered for a day and then went cold turkey and I feel pretty good, today is day two. I am experiencing insomnia, my digestive track is off and I randomly get a quick pins and needles feeling over my whole body.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience any of these? Advice?
Old 02-16-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can vary tremendously from barely noticeable to life-threateningly severe depending on a great many factors. If yours are relatively mild, then congratulate yourself on quitting once -- for many people, successive detoxes can lead to dramatically worsened withdrawal symptoms.

Insomnia is very common, as your brain has gotten used to being sedated and experiences a rebound effect once you take the sedative away.

Staying well-hydrated and well-nourished are about the only "tips and tricks" that apply universally. Good luck, and be sure to check in here should you happen to get the urge to drink again!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This afternoon has been rough as my Friday routine once out of work is to have a drink... this is so hard, I know worth it. I have been awake since 8 am Thursday and I am not tired but getting emotional from lack of sleep
Old 02-16-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's probably going to be a little rough for a while. If you want this bad enough, you can handle it. It's so worth it once you get past the beginning!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Ckel. As others mentioned, the first days can be pretty rough. Insomnia is very, very common and there is a laundry list of possibly other symptoms associated with acute withdrawal.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is different for everyone. Insomnia, fatigue, depression, anxiety , loss of appetite, upset stomach, headache, dehydration etc. You could have one symptom or you could have them all.

When I quit heavy drinking in March 2017, I was at the worst I had ever been. It took me weeks to physically feel well. For my kidneys to stop hurting. The anxiety was more than I thought I could handle and I was for certain I needed to be hospitalized. I just can not go there again.

Hang in there. Drink Hot Tea. Take a hot shower and allow yourself time to recover. It took us time to get in to the position we are in. It will take a bit of time to get back to normal.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day by day it will get better. Hang in there buddy. We're here for ya.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I slept finally - woke up feeling amazing! I have been hungry all day, and somewhat irritatable, but all to be expected. Feels weird on weekend not drinking but I keep thinking about how good I feel, Money I am saving, long term benefits, etc. that is keeping me focused.