Notices

Sober Vacation Groups

Old 01-12-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Vacation Groups

So, I would like to get back to vacationing in the Caribbean, bit of Europe with my daughters, they are getting old enough to accompany us, we obviously didn't do it when they were young.

I have found a few travel providers who block off cruises or Club Med like places for sober only vacationers.

I have a couple questions, has anyone done these? I see some are like big meetings at sea, can I go if I don't do AA? The one cruise place has one cruise that doesn't have a conference at sea, is that what I should be looking for?

It's been so long, I don't know where the really calm resorts are anymore and I remember even going to "family-style" resorts before kids, they weren't always "family" resorts. I know we can do the condo route too - I am just lazy
Old 01-12-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have written extensively about cruise ships so I'll throw out what I know.

All cruise ships (except the tinest, most exclusive ones) schedule daily "Friends of Bill W" meetings, almost universally at 4:00 p.m. in a closed bar. It's not a ship activity, it's space for whoever shows up. On mass market cruise ship (Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc.) up to ten people show up on the first day. Be sure to get names and cabin #'s because attendance drops significantly after that.

You are right, there are groups of alcoholics who cruise together and this can be the best bet for staying sober. You dine together, a big help at meals, and generally hang out (but not required). Since you have something in common with fellow cruisers this is best for people traveling alone.

Throughout Europe and a bit less in the Caribbean you'll find AA meeting. Call AA's general services office in New York for a list of meetings available the day you're there. Of course you can attend if you don't do AA.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

There are "friends of bill" as mentioned. I remember seeing it when I was younger on cruises and I didn't know what it was! Now, I know all too well.
Just think about how much money you'll save by NOT drinking!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

There are a lot of AA Conventions in Europe,if you booked a Hotel where they are held for the convention dates,you would be assured of sober company.

Lanzarote in January.

Malta in March.

Cyprus in April.

Greece in May.

Spain has several conventions throughout the year,Costa Brava,Costa Blanca,Costa Blanca,Costa del Sol.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I was looking at rule 62 and another one with sobriety in the name. When pop and non alcohol drinks can cost as much as booze...

There was a Turks and caicos one I saw, maybe next January!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would honestly listen to your own voice. If you think the only way to stay sober would be to stay around other committed people, then by all means do it. If I was worried about staying sober when leaving my home I would probably stay in my safe area longer before leaving home. I travel all over the world and it doesn't bother me regardless of how many lushes I am around. Sooner or later you will get tested. It is inevitable. If you are going to leave your comfort zone I would meet it head on. When I am in Europe the breakfast wine cracks me up the most. Seriously, 7 in the morning people are sitting there and drinking wine with breakfast! God Bless!
Old 01-14-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am going on a cruise in October. I am hoping it will be enough time for me to come up with some plans and strategies to help me while I am there. The people on the cruise have started a private facebook group and a sober person started a post asking if there would be other sober people and over 50 people replied! We have already started making friends, so I know there will be a few people around to sip sodas with and do some morning yoga with.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going on a cruise in October. I am hoping it will be enough time for me to come up with some plans and strategies to help me while I am there.
In the ship's daily program, distributed each evening in your cabin, you'll see "Friends of Bill W" meeting posted, typically at 4:00 in a closed bar. All cruise ships do this.