Notices

Chip question.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Chip question.

In AA, I’ve been scared to take a chip.
If I take one, what happens if I slip or relapse?
Do I give it back? That seems so embarrassing.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think there are any rules regarding chip return if you relapse.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've always taken my chip!
This last time when I came back, I did give them all back. That's because I didn't need them or want them, I felt they were tainted for me.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't give any back after slips. I went ahead and got a new one instead and started over.
I was a chronic relapser, so I acquired quite a collection of day one and desire chips.
I hope you don't relapse. It sounds as if you're thinking ahead of the inevitable.
It's not. You can do this, keep your chip and get another and another as you stay sober.
Best to you. And get that chip.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I agree, get the chip, every day is a celebration, every milestone is noteworthy. When you are feeling down, look at the chips as a reminder of how far you have come! As a side note, I have a few surrender chips, it took me a few tries to get here! No shame in keeping trying!

Cathy
Old 01-07-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had my 1 thru 11 month chips and one yr chip made into a clock for my former counselor. It's really cool and a testament to my first year sober.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

Yeah you don't have to give them back if you relapse. My old roommate was a chronic relapser and picked up many white chips (24hr chips) before getting sobriety to stick. When he picked up his 1yr chip he told the group that he could have tiled his entire bathroom with white chips but thanks to the group he never gave up.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's a token of your progress Anarock....no conditions attached. Celebrate it for what it is and don't worry about the future until it becomes the present, right?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey Anarock, if you were to relapse the chip- thing would likely be the least of your problems.
sometimes, what we spend much energy worrying about is the minor part of possible bad scenarios.
Put your energy into the actions that will help with ongoing sobriety
Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't get a white chip. For probably a number of reasons, while I knew I was DONE with alcohol, I did not want to go up to the front of the room. I was also very sick physically when I quit so just going to meetings those first 90 days was enough. Sometimes, it was hard to sit through them.

I have my chips in a little jewelry pouch on my dresser. My sponsor and my now husband got me a special pink and gold one year chip (pink is my favorite color, I adore it). I made a little display in a shadow box frame with a few pics taken the day I got that one at my home group and when I got the standard blue at the big clubhouse earlier in the day.

I am coming up on two years and at least this year- probably the first five!- I will get another blue for my collection. I see people with 20 or 30 years who get then give back their chip - or people who give a milestone one to a sponsor or someone important to them, and think both are great ideas and gestures.

Do what you like about chips - and I'd venture to say, don't borrow trouble for the future but instead keep working the program every day.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Okay. In under 2 weeks I’ll get my one month chip.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You keep your chip if that happens. It’s just a chip remember it’s whatever it means to you.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EliL View Post
You keep your chip if that happens. It’s just a chip remember it’s whatever it means to you.
yes, keep it. Think of it this way, if relapse happened, in the midst of your despair that chip might give you comfort because it represents hope. It reminds you that you can do this.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Don't set yourself up for relapse by worrying about what to do with your chip if you drink again.

If anything keep it. Rather than stressing over your relapse, let it remind you that you did it once, you can do it again.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Uses Borg voice from Startrek:
‘AA chips are irrelevant. Reroute all available energy to focus on action for ongoing sobriety. Failure to comply will result in assimilation by alcohol’.