Notices

Holidays (holidaze?)

Old 12-24-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holidays (holidaze?)

Ugh. I am in an anxiety spiral. Most of it is hormonal. Some of it is the holidays, and all the pressure, and the build up of the past few weeks. We had 4 work gatherings (I attended one) and have to attend a new years lunch next week. People at work have been drinking at work for a couple of weeks now - since Thanksgiving. I'm ready for life to go back to normal now.

Hit a meeting this AM. Talked to my sponsor. Doing alright.

Offering support to my fellow soberites during the holidaze. Well get through this!!

Lots of love. I believe in all of you.

Love,
Bunny
Old 12-24-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is definitely one of the most stressful times of the year, glad to hear you are taking action to keep things in check. SR is always a good place for me to escape the hubbub and relax/focus too. Hope you are still able to enjoy some of the things going on and happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Together, Bunny.

Onward. We can do this!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel exactly the same way. I feel awful and it's all in my head.

I'm so glad you posted this. It's helping me and honestly I wish I had a sponsor today. It's not about whether ill drink it's just these feelings.

Hormonal for me too: it's that time of month.

Goal for today, to not make this everyone else's problem and to work hard to stay out of victim mentality.

Hugs.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a three-fold disease: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.
The good news is they all pass, the days start to get longer and we're healing. What helps me the most is calling another alcoholic and giving support.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel the same.
We just spent two days in a cabin in the woods-- it was relaxing and lovely and I felt so awesome that I had no cravings; everything was clear and new, and I felt a whole new life ahead of me. I was so glad I didn't have to hide alcohol, or pass out every night, or have bloodshot eyes in the morning.
Now that I'm home and we're preparing to head to my MIL's house, and then diving into Christmas, I'm having unexpected cravings of the sort I haven't had since I quit. WTH is that all about?

As Sassy says, it's not a question of drinking--I won't--but it's these feelings that are taking me by frustrated surprise. I hate the loud and aggressive cravings, especially after such self-congratulation the past two days. Man, this disease never stops, does it?
Old 12-24-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so glad I am not caught up in the holiday drinking culture.

For me it was nothing more than a one month excuse for my daily drinking regimen (get drunk everyday).

We had beer and wine served at my firm's Christmas lunch a couple of days ago, but no one drank heavily.

The family members we choose to celebrate Christmas with do not serve alcohol at their functions.

We have a wedding next weekend and New Year's Eve dinner with close friends, and there will be drinking.

It doesn't bother us, and no one either evening will have more fun than us.

But I certainly get tired of the omnipresence of alcohol during the Christmas season.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish we could all just cry together because maybe after wailing for awhile we might all start laughing...

We'll get through this sober! Plaster on that smile and ho ho ho!
Old 12-24-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I normally hit about 10 AA meetings per week:

1 on Sunday
2 on Monday
1 on Tuesday
2 on Wednesday
1 on Thursday
1 on Friday
2 on Saturday

I am not going to any AA meetings today (Christmas Eve) or Christmas Day.

I am staying as calm as possible, praying a lot (especially the Serenity Prayer), and waiting for it all to pass. This year I am focusing on Jesus's birthday - not the commercialized circus the Christmas season has become.

Many heavy drinkers in my life and I am trying to avoid any arguments (especially with my drunken wife - she was bombed yesterday but passed out by 7 pm so I got the have a nice quiet evening alone).

Looking forward to starting my new job Wednesday, working nights and weekends in order to avoid my wife - she works 9-5. This way when she is drinking I will be working. And while she is working, I have AA and fellowship.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in a daze all the time, especially when sober. The main thing is just do what you think is best for you. I'm learning sobriety keeps me in a more flat daze than when I was drinking, less of an up & down roller coaster affect.

I can understand how being in a stressful work environment + having easy access to something you know might temporarily relieve those stresses can be hard. I definitely probably wouldn't be at 129 days if my job allowed drinking in any occasion. lol it's part of what helped me get through so far.

I don't really have advice, but at minimum I can surely relate with you.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The holidays can be a tough time for us alcoholics. It's the one time of year that even many "normies" go a little crazy. However, if we stick with our chosen recovery plan, we can make it thru, stronger than ever!
Old 12-27-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Since quitting drinking I find it amazing that companies allow or even promote people drinking at work. With all of the problems with violence and harassment they are just asking for a huge lawsuit. If you think about it for a second how could encouraging people to get bombed at work possibly benefit a company. The most amazing one is airlines promoting passengers to drink for profit. With all of the crazy stories on the news about passengers and airline employees getting out of control physically it really makes you wonder. People are in a stressful situation and then you add alcohol and suddenly everyone is amazed when it goes crazy. God Bless! I saw your sober date and we are both so close to three years. Keep Going!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope you had a good one Bunny!

I generally don't feel social pressure to drink and can shrug it off with a "No thank you" but the holiday season is rough, just because it's harder to avoid.

I was very "lucky" this year at the company party, for example. I won two gift baskets, probably 200$ value each. Nearly all booze and booze paraphernalia. I'm laughing about it now, but it was pretty stressful to walk up in front of everyone and accept my gift (twice). Not a lot of fun TBH.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotTheBlues View Post
Hope you had a good one Bunny!

I generally don't feel social pressure to drink and can shrug it off with a "No thank you" but the holiday season is rough, just because it's harder to avoid.

I was very "lucky" this year at the company party, for example. I won two gift baskets, probably 200$ value each. Nearly all booze and booze paraphernalia. I'm laughing about it now, but it was pretty stressful to walk up in front of everyone and accept my gift (twice). Not a lot of fun TBH.
My partner and I received a voucher for a posh wine shop and a wine mulling kit 😂 Now we have to find someone to pass them on to. Always the way.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Hope everyone is surviving the holidays with sobriety intact. The next few days can be tough. But, if we stick together, we can make it thru!