Notices

Powerful!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Powerful!

I read something so powerful (to me, at least). It stated how Nicotine, Heroin, Cocaine, and Alcohol are the four most addictive drugs yet discovered. It is a sign of the troubling marketing campaign of alcohol, and the way our society has been brainwashed to accept it, that alcohol is the ONLY drug in which you are considered as having a disease/illness (alcoholism) if you acknowledge you shouldn't take it. Society does not tell you that you have a problem if you acknowledge you can't shoot heroin. Nor if you say you can't snort coke. The very concept of the term alcoholism - as if it is a disease (something bad) - is warped. Our bodies are NOT MEANT to ingest poisons like heroin, nicotine, cocaine, and alcohol. So, flipping it around, being an alcoholic is s sign of a MORE functioning body, not a diseased one.

That made so much sense to me. Hopefully it helped one of you, too.

I'm knee deep in sobriety literature (and movies!). I rewatched Meg Ryan's "When a Man Loves a Woman" last night (she plays an alcoholic). I'm so glad I did. I remember thinking it was so powerful when I watched it as a kid. This viewing, I found so very frightening bc I could so easily identify with what she would do (i.e. wake up in the middle of the night and decide to dump all her alcohol away, but then take a final swig beforehand, etc.) The fact I could so identify took away any doubts about whether I am or am not an alcoholic (crazy, I know, that those doubts still pop up).

Anyway, just some thoughts.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How are you doing, Sohard? Week one over for me.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by corriec View Post
How are you doing, Sohard? Week one over for me.
Six days! Whew! I'm feeling strong..you??
Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm well. I think that last almost fifty days showed me how to handle it a lot better. At least it feels a lot easier this time around. And also the withdrawals are not half as bad; although I'm not fooling myself. The worst is yet to come, I know. But I'm ready for it/them.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sylvie83 View Post
And please feel free to ignore me/correct me if I'm totally wrong.

Not addicted to alcohol/drugs so just thinking out loud....but have my addictions/mental health stuff....plenty....
Oh, no corrections you'll hear from me! I'm just trying to figure it all out. Alcohol advertising/marketing makes my blood boil, too. It's disgusting and sick.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful. Very slow growing, but becomes a nightmare at it's full force.
I hope you are in, or reaching out for recovery!
Old 12-16-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful. Very slow growing, but becomes a nightmare at it's full force.
I hope you are in, or reaching out for recovery!
I've finished 6 days sober and proud of this!
Old 12-16-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

Keep going Sohard! You're pretty much past the difficult physical part, I hope you have or will adopt a good plan of recovery to help you going forward. It's the mental part we have to sort out and stay on top of to attain long-term sobriety, and that's where having a plan comes in.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Keep going Sohard! You're pretty much past the difficult physical part, I hope you have or will adopt a good plan of recovery to help you going forward. It's the mental part we have to sort out and stay on top of to attain long-term sobriety, and that's where having a plan comes in.
Thank you! I think I've adopted a plan (SR, therapy, reading constantly about alcoholism, exercise). No AA (yet) but I think I'm solid. I like the AVRT concept also. Can I ask, how long before it came easy for you? If ever?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

That sounds like a solid plan Sohard. I would say at around 6 months for me. I use AA and SR as my plan and by around 6 months I had finished going though the steps with my sponsor and had made most of my amends. I think by around 6 months one's body has had some time to heal, the mind defog and have a good plan in place and working. I think it depends on the individual and what your definition of "easy" is though. But by 6 months or so the cravings were long gone, the drinking dreams had subsided and I was starting to put my life back together.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
That sounds like a solid plan Sohard. I would say at around 6 months for me. I use AA and SR as my plan and by around 6 months I had finished going though the steps with my sponsor and had made most of my amends. I think by around 6 months one's body has had some time to heal, the mind defog and have a good plan in place and working. I think it depends on the individual and what your definition of "easy" is though. But by 6 months or so the cravings were long gone, the drinking dreams had subsided and I was starting to put my life back together.
Thank you for your thoughts. Very much appreciated. I really look forward to being further ahead in the journey. Unfortunately, the only way to get there is to go forward!
Old 12-17-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think the problem is marketing or society. The problem is me, I'm an alcoholic and responsible for everything I put in my body. I have a choice: pick up a drink or get help.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you look up the definition of alcohol we are putting a flammable fuel in our bodies; how can that be good??:

a colorless, limpid, volatile, flammable, water-miscible liquid, C 2 H 5 OH, having an etherlike odor and pungent, burning taste, the intoxicating principle of fermented liquors, produced by yeast fermentation of certain carbohydrates, as grains, molasses, starch, or sugar, or obtained synthetically by hydration of ethylene or as a by-product of certain hydrocarbon syntheses: used chiefly as a solvent in the extraction of specific substances, in beverages, medicines, organic synthesis, lotions, tonics, colognes, rubbing compounds, as an automobile radiator antifreeze, and as a rocket fuel.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sylvie83 View Post
For you the problem is you. For people already in addiction the problem is them. Agreed. For young people...our society in general...starting out....it doesn't help.

Less people smoking now...less people fighting to stop....did nicotine addiction suddenly get easier to beat?

Smoking ban: Number of UK smokers falls by nearly two million in 10 years | The Independent
Thank you. Yes. This.