Notices

Therapy and alcohol

Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lpg

Therapy and alcohol

Wow! Today I had my first one to one therapy. It's really been a good day for starting to understand myself better. Luckily the man seemed very knowledgeable with alcohol and drug addiction. He spoke about AA and the big book also and he had done/looked into a study in Ireland about genetic alcoholism. He also mentioned SA something Iv not heard of but going to look up. (just looked up think he maybe got the wrong name )

Having someone listen to you really really does help. I left that place crying (as per) but this time tears of happiness as I feel like I could truly open up and be honest to someone.

The air feels lighter. Anyone struggling I recommend some therapy. I know it's only one session I have a long way to go but feel like I have all the building blocks for a stronger future just time to put them in place.

Just thought I'd share
Lpg
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's great news and a bold step Lpg, kudos for seeking help. I waited until a couple of years into getting sober to seek help for my anxiety and wish I would have done it far sooner. My therapist is also a recovering alcoholic, and even though addiction is not one of her specialties it really helps to connect with someone who understands what's going on.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That's great news and a bold step Lpg, kudos for seeking help. I waited until a couple of years into getting sober to seek help for my anxiety and wish I would have done it far sooner. My therapist is also a recovering alcoholic, and even though addiction is not one of her specialties it really helps to connect with someone who understands what's going on.
Thanks Scott. I was nervous about it to begin with but so glad now I've took those steps. The guy was amazing so good at listening and feeding back. It's really helped me realise why I can't drink again and really put that in stone for me.
One day at a time!
Lpg
Old 11-27-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
He also mentioned SA something Iv not heard of but going to look up. (just looked up think he maybe got the wrong name )

Lpg
Ah it was SMART meeting he wrote it down for me
Old 11-28-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I firmly believe that most addicts/alcoholics can strongly benefit from one-on-one therapy with a psychodynamic element.

A good therapist (and I stress good, many aren't) can help you work through some of the underlying issues that lead to drinking/using and help us continue to do so in the face of increasingly dire consequences. We self medicate to numb feelings of self-loathing, and the drinking/using causes increased self-loathing. Sobriety eliminates the 2nd part of the equation and 12 Step and other recovery programs help to keep us there. Therapy is reaching the deeper parts of my psyche that for me 12-step didn't touch.

12 Step for me helped me to become abstinent, but it wasn't much fun or fulfilling. Therapy lead me to sobriety and a positive outlook that I've never had in my entire life, whether drinking or not. It greatly helps that my therapist has gone through the recovery process.

Of course YMMV, but the program director in IOP, a brilliant man who recovered from a deep heroin addiction (brought back from death 3 times) has published a fair amount to that effect in medical and psychiatric journals.

So keep it up. It is another step in your journey.