Notices

Struggling

Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lpg

Struggling

Really keep getting that voice in my head. I keep trying to push it out. Yesterday when I heard about my councilling appointment my first thought was maybe that will cure me and I'll be able to drink normal. And things like oh if I get married I won't be able to have a glass of fizz on my wedding day and feeling very sad. Constant battle in the mind.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Remember it's just a voice LPG. You know it's lying and exactly where things will go if you listen too it. Coming here is a good plan...what else could you add locally? Even a walk is a better idea than a drink, right? You've got this...stay close if you need help.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember when I was early on in sobriety, I was sitting in an IOP group therapy meeting and the doctor sat down and cracked open a soda pop. I was sitting about 10 feet away and she saw my body tense up and i jumped like i had heard a gunshot.

She ran over and gave me a hug and I could tell she was really embarrassed...so was I. The room clearly saw it and every one there pretty much told me that it would get better. She opened a diet coke...my brain heard beer.

Right now, your brain is craving what will ultimately take your life. If you can hold out and push through the cravings, I PROMISE there will be a time where you rarely ever think about it again, let alone crave it.

Hang in there. One day, that fizz at your wedding can be seltzer water because you fought through this, got healthy, met someone who you want to be married to for the right reasons and because you stayed sober and worked on you, you can handle it.

Right now, your brain is saying "feed me booze that's fizzy or I'll make you sad".

Hang in there most cravings don't last more than 15-20 minutes at a time.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lpg

The weird thing is even when I remember how sick I was the craving still comes back. I'm even still heaving at the thought of drinking and getting the craving. I know it will pass, I'm putting off a second meeting cos of nerves again but I know I can go the first ones the hardest and iv done that I just need to get a little grip of myself and go.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lpg

[QUOTE=BullDog777;6680524]
Hang in there. One day, that fizz at your wedding can be seltzer water because you fought through this, got healthy, met someone who you want to be married to for the right reasons and because you stayed sober and worked on you, you can handle it.

Im lucky enough to have already met someone, he's been so supportive and I want to make him proud, he's stuck by when he could have walked so many times. He just wants to see me happy as he knows deep down this drunk person isn't me. I need to keep going.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi lpg. You’re doing a good job working at getting rid of the thoughts. Know that the thoughts are normal at this stage of sobriety. I have them more often than someone with years has them, but the less attention I give them, the less seriously I take them, the less they come around...

I was 7 months Pregnant at my wedding 21 years ago so if it helps, I didn’t toast with champagne either. Plenty of people humiliated themselves with alcohol (throwing each other in the pool) but I didn’t. There’s more than one way to look at things, the lens of alcohol is only one way.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Hi lpg. You’re doing a good job working at getting rid of the thoughts. Know that the thoughts are normal at this stage of sobriety. I have them more often than someone with years has them, but the less attention I give them, the less seriously I take them, the less they come around...

I was 7 months Pregnant at my wedding 21 years ago so if it helps, I didn’t toast with champagne either. Plenty of people humiliated themselves with alcohol (throwing each other in the pool) but I didn’t. There’s more than one way to look at things, the lens of alcohol is only one way.
Hey thanks for the reply.
I seem to have the cravings and thoughts more in the morning then ease off by afternoon time. I literally woke up at 6am with the thoughts in my head. Now looking over my post this evening I'm thinking.... Would I really want to be a blackout bride on my wedding day, of course not. (I'm not even engaged yet so why am I even thinking that far ahead) Then I feel silly about my irrational thinking. Looked into some more local alcohol groups in my area and found some more things I can attend to help me. 9 days sober now ☺
Old 11-21-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you are doing all the right things lpg, and believe me - it will get better. The early days are a rollercoaster of emotions, I think looking into those local groups will be a great addition to your plan as well.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Really keep getting that voice in my head. I keep trying to push it out. Yesterday when I heard about my councilling appointment my first thought was maybe that will cure me and I'll be able to drink normal. And things like oh if I get married I won't be able to have a glass of fizz on my wedding day and feeling very sad. Constant battle in the mind.
Awww LPG! I thought the same thing regarding my wedding day when I first got sober.
But then real talk- I couldn't get out of bed, hated life, was broke, etc. and I didn't even have a boyfriend! I had no life while I was active in my addiction. I realized marriage wasn't even on the horizon with the path I was on.

You can do this! I read on another post of yours that you went to a meeting. That is so great! I hope this is the turning point for you
Old 11-21-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LPG,

I had similar thoughts about drinking at my kids wedding if I was sober. The crazy part about it is I am in my 40's and don't have kids. I wanted to keep drinking over an impossible situation in the future. That AV is crazy and irrational but it can grab traction if we let it.

When you hear one day at a time, these types of thinking is what that saying helps. Keeps us in the present instead of letting future tripping to build anxiety. Worry about your wedding day when you wake up that day. Until then work on staying sober today and only today matters.

Good luck
Old 11-21-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think as alcoholics we worry about things and events that havent happened yet. We tend to over analyze things. It's natural for us. Keeps our anxiety level high. That induces us to drink. It's alcoholism. It's a dark place. It's hard to see. It will go to any lengths to have you believe this is the only way to live. In the meantime, your dying.
This my suggestion for you LPG, get busy and stay busy. Take action. Massive amounts of action. Do not give yourself the time to sit and think of days ahead and how not drinking is going to be so terrible. Keep your mind occupied. It's critical this early in your sobriety. You have to decide on a plan and work it. Alcoholism is non-stop. Your an alcoholic. So use the tools you have and go to work. There is nobody here that will tell you early sobriety is easy. It's not. It's about changing. Acceptance. Faith. Courage. Planning and hard work. But the rewards are 10 times greater than the effort.
There's only one way to get there, don't drink. You have to completely eliminate that option. Drinking is not an option. Never.
I hope this helps LPG. I don't mean to preach at you. Just passing it along. Stay strong and stay sober.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replys I read over them. Wayne thanks for the reminder, it's so easy to get caught up in the thought process I've actually managed to talk myself round yesterday that 'maybe I'm not an alacoholic' when I am I know I am, how come we get such short term memory loss and forget so easily what it feels like. It was only last week I cried my eyes out saying I wanted to end it because of alcohol now I'm talking myself round to drinking. Last night when I came home from work I asked my boyfriend if he thinks I could just do coke on a night out instead of drinking cos that's not the same thing is it?!?!

The difference this time is I'm being outspoken with my cravings to my partner and he then shuts them down and tells me how ridiculous that thinking is. I cried on the way home from work last night worrying im going to fail, I thought this would be easier than it has been. Goin to go to the same meeting on Friday
Old 11-22-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't drink today LPG. Tell us what it is your going to do to keep from drinking today. We don't care about tomorrow. Just today. What's your plan? Write it down and carry it with you. Read it through out the day and act on it. It's called action. Make it simple. Anything to avoid drinking will do. Tell us, what's your plan. We're here for ya...
Old 11-22-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, I surrendered and followed "the path" of the book Alcoholics Anonymous. I don't want to drink anymore. The sooner we accept the truth of the hopeless condition and surrender the sooner the loosing battle is over and "new power" flows in.

If we "romance the drink", imagine the dishonest narrative about how wonderful it will be........when the truth is the same terrible consequences always happened, then we are teasing ourselves with a lie! We are marketing a faulty experience to ourselves.

We aren't like normal people. We never will be.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Lpg

Today has been alot better.... ALOT! I've kept myself super busy at work today, I think the key is to keep busy. And I also told a few work friends that keep asking me about nights out that I CAN'T drink. I think they got me without me having to go any further and dropped the conversation. The voice has calmed today it's not screaming.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're doing better today LPG!
Old 11-22-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Taking it day by day can also be helpful. In other words, don't stress out about future situations as much, focus on the here and now and what's going on in the present. Glad things are going better.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LPG,

Great job. It does get easier. And life gets tremendously better. The obsession to drink will subside then bam out of no where it is back. Getting coping skills and being prepared for them makes it easier to not drink when they do arrive.

good luck