Notices

Stumbling down the Alcoholic tunnel...

Old 11-05-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stumbling down the Alcoholic tunnel...

The side we all come from is the dark side, and it is as dark as any tunnel can be. But somehow not dark enough for us not to see the crates and shelves and bars and shops filled with booze, or to hear the tinkling and clinking sounds of glasses and bottles. The laughter and boisterous side, the jostling and jokes and the drunken, floating, fun side. Or the later on sit-at-home-alone and having a bottle all by ourselves side. Both parts of the dark side, both ruled by the always present voice, the one urging us to have just one more, or a couple more, or a few…
Some of us, at some stage, are lucky enough to resist, and begin making our way down the tunnel, into darkness even darker yet. Darkness quickly filled with sweaty dreams and trembling shakes and headaches and other body pains, and always, the ever-present “Big Thirst”. All amplified, through our foggy thoughts, by the cajoling, inviting voice, sometimes whispering, and other times screaming: “Just one? Maybe two…??”
We all of us stumble - some of us many times - over bottles, empty or full, along the way. Some of us fall, and many of us never get up again; crawling back instead, to the clinking glasses and bottles and laughter of the social drunk, or the solitude and eventual oblivion of the lonely drunk. Lured back to the smell and taste of alcohol, to lingering sickness and eventual death, by that seductive voice.
But some of us still carry on: further on into the dark, with memories of better days to support us and give us strength. Soon, the bottles along the way seem to get less and less, and we don’t stumble as often. When we look up, though, we realize the bottles are still there; just as many as before and still strewn down the whole length of the tunnel. What is different, is that we now walk around them, or simply kick them out of the way. We can now see them, because there is light at the end of the tunnel…
This light, I know, gets stronger each day we are free of alcohol, and it is there for all of us.

corriec (28 days today, and counting; just another two days to my first month. Feeling better, even good, and, yes, also proud. But above all – thankful.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 28 days Corrie!
Old 11-05-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Wow, lookit you doin it!
So good.

That introspection is something that came with my sobriety as well. It's good to look at that thing of addiction to understand and accept. My wish/hope/determination is to leave that all behind with only the remnants of wariness and mindfulness as those are things that are helpful to me and everyone in my world. This is my wish for you, too, Corrie - that you keep on reflecting and get to a place of living in the light that is the exact opposite of addiction.

xo
O
Old 11-05-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

corriec I made a big list of all the people who had a part in the October 2017 class clear from the beginning. You were on it. We are still going strong over there and you are welcome to join back in if you want
Old 11-05-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 28 days😀
Old 11-05-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done Corrie. Xxx
Old 11-05-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Recovery rocks
Old 11-05-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Nice going on 28 days....beautiful view coming out of the tunnel
Old 11-06-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well said. I think fear is our biggest challenge in early sobriety. You explained that well in your post. Thank you!