Notices

Feeling Scared

Old 11-04-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Scared

Hi guys, its 1.42am, and I'm sitting up thinking about how scared I am.... as mentioned in a recent thread after 10 years off drinking I've concluded enough is enough, but I'm scared that alcohol has created too much of a power over me, scared I'll get stressed and go the offlicence for a bottle of wine, scared I won't have the strength to say 'no I don't drink' if I'm offered, scared I'll see people out drinking and having fun on facebook and want to join in, scared that I'll convince myself that I don't have a drinking problem anymore and that just one or two won't hurt.

The same repetitious story has been going on far to long now and I genuinely want things to change, is sobriety meant to be so scary?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Samantha

Just say you aren’t drinking tonight. You don’t need a reason. But if they ask why, I just say I work in the morning or have something important to do later or the next day. No one will think twice.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Scary only if you let it.
I drank for thirty years and couldn't imagine not drinking. What kind of life would that be?
Then I found out I couldn't quit and that WAS scary. Sobriety? Me?
In the end King Alcohol had taken over my life and I, too, was scared to quit.
But with time and the kind people of AA and here, I found a better way of living. Sober.

I remember those early days. I wouldn't say I was scared, I was petrified. Terrified to drink and terrified to quit. I had reached the nadir. Live or die a slow, miserable death. That's what scared me into quitting. So you can turn it around.
Are you really scared to quit or scared to drink?

It gets better. We will learn how to handle situations that used to baffle us, to paraphrase AA.
You're reaching out for help and that's how I started. You can quit and those scary thoughts will go away with time and you'll look back at them and know they were just that, only thoughts.
The reality is sobriety and it does get better and better. I promise.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Scary only if you let it.
I drank for thirty years and couldn't imagine not drinking. What kind of life would that be?
Then I found out I couldn't quit and that WAS scary. Sobriety? Me?
In the end King Alcohol had taken over my life and I, too, was scared to quit.
But with time and the kind people of AA and here, I found a better way of living. Sober.

I remember those early days. I wouldn't say I was scared, I was petrified. Terrified to drink and terrified to quit. I had reached the nadir. Live or die a slow, miserable death. That's what scared me into quitting. So you can turn it around.
Are you really scared to quit or scared to drink?

It gets better. We will learn how to handle situations that used to baffle us, to paraphrase AA.
You're reaching out for help and that's how I started. You can quit and those scary thoughts will go away with time and you'll look back at them and know they were just that, only thoughts.
The reality is sobriety and it does get better and better. I promise.
Thanks for your reply GL. Yes its the fear off quitting and the fear to keep drinking. Thanks, I know it will get better its just the initial fear really has seemed to affect me tonight.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is sobriety scary? I know it feels that way in the beginning. But I can tell you what's scarier - ending up in the ER from an alcohol withdrawal seizure, or any of the other terrible misfortunes that await you if you continue down the rabbit hole.

So yes, it feels scary in the beginning because alcohol has become such an important part of your life that you can't imagine living without it. But once you get some sober time under your belt and start to experience life instead of numbing out, you thank God every day that you don't have to live that way anymore. At least that's been my experience.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A dark night of the soul. I had many of them while drinking and in early sobriety. All alone. Scary. But we're all here for you. This too will pass and there's nothing a drink will make better.
Thinking of you.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to dread insomnia and the frustration of being bored, awake, dissatisfied, then angry, then resenting others, myself, etc. I was wound up tight. Nowadays, I don't mind waking up too early or falling asleep late because it gives me a little quiet time to think clearly about the day ahead. Amazing how one's perspective on the exact same experience can completely change.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What my sponsor said in early recovery was a huge help: "stop projecting!" Projecting bad things was one way my mind ensured I was miserable all the time.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Develop some faith, it stares fear directly in the eye and says go away, your no longer needed here.
Faith that sobriety is better than alcoholism.
Faith is more comforting than a stiff drink.
Faith is acting on a hunch that perhaps alcoholism is worse than fear.
Loose the grip of fear and attach it to faith. You pick something and attach Faith to it then it becomes unstoppable.
Trust us here. It was scary for all of us. But we're here. Not drinking. Living a life of sobriety. The fear you have now will eventually leave. But you have to take action and develop faith. It all falls in place with time. Always.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was scared too - I'd drunk for 20 years.

The thing I found tho was that I was stronger and more capable than I realised - I'd forgotten the real me.

Everytime I faced a situation or a feeling I used to drink over and stayed sober I got stronger and more capable again

The fear of facing reality was much much worse than actually facing that reality.

I love life now - even the not so good bits soon give way to better times

D
Old 11-10-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

It certainly can be that way in the beginning. 10 years of drinking and now embarking on a new (and far better) way to live is naturally going to spark anxiety.
Metaphorically speaking, I think it can be likened to the anxiety a new parent feels, "Oh my gosh! This life is mine to take care of now! I am going to take full responsibility and have to keep it alive - make the right choices to keep it healthy and...alive Fight its battles, protect it and be its foremost advocate!"
But the belying message is that the power and control is in their hands, the same as for you. That can feel like an overwhelming responsibility. Don't underestimate the power you have. But do consider some tools at add to your arsenal, including, preparing yourself (whatever that will mean for you) if someone offers you a drink.
You can do this...many before you have and you can too!!!