Notices

Ice Cream, Tinned Fruit, Custard...

Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ice Cream, Tinned Fruit, Custard...

Yes, that's what I went to the shops for. Vanilla chocolate ice cream, tinned peaches and pears in syrup, and custard (sort of banana pudding in the USA). A mix consisting of probably about fifty percent sugar, but so bloody delicious... Especially when you gobble a huge bowl of the stuff, which was what I had half an hour ago. This morning - South African time - I took that half-a-bottle of whiskey out from beneath the sink where I put it last Sunday, and believe me, I've never been so tempted in my life.
But something happened... And what exactly it was, I don't know. A switch being thrown in my brain? My liver sending signals of disgust to same brain?? I don't know. And I really don't care. All I DO know, is that day seven is almost gone, and I beat the booze again. But the craving for sugar - as all of you know - hit hard, and I gave in. REALLY went to town. And so what? I'll beat that as well when the time comes - I'm not overweight, and never have been. What IS important, is that I beat the bottle for the seventh day in a row, my man - and ladies. Corrie rocks!!... (With help, of course; which I am not so stupid or vain to believe I could do without.) I BELIEVE!!
Have a great week all of you!! I will.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on a week sober corriec! Sugar cravings are very common after quitting, and it's probably fine to Indulge from time to time. Many of us have addictive tendencies to just about anything though, so it's good to be aware of the situation as you are. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats, Corriec! Yes, these sugar cravings - I’ve also been raiding the freezer almost every night since I’ve got sober. But you know what? First things first! First we’ll battle alcohol, because it is so debilitating, and then, when we are good and ready, we can turn around, look sugar in the eye and say “Hasta la vista, sugar”. All the best and keep it up!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Feeling good!!

I can't agree with you more, Mac. I'm more a salt guy: love my jerky (Biltong in Afrikaans - South Africa), and crisps and bacon bites. Sugar I can leave any time I want, like I said, I'm not such a great fan of the stuff. I just felt like a bit of a reward, you know I also know, before anyone even tells me, that the feeling good is my body/brain telling me "all is well, Corrie. See, nothing wrong with you! Now get out that bottle and celebrate... Just one, man..."
Nah... Naaaaaah.....
Old 10-15-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats indeed! Sugar is a delightful temporary fix. Long term: not good at all, and many will say to quit both sugar and alcohol, but I think anything that helps get an alcoholic off alcohol in the first 1-4 weeks will not do permanent damage and does the most important thing: which is detox.

Of course remember how nutrient deprived you are and that you need the good stuff right now too.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Pour out that bottle man, you don't need it.