Notices

Still trucking along!

Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still trucking along!

Okay, I'm on day #4, which I know is crazy early. But, I wanted to thank ALL those who reached out with words of support and advice the past 3 days. One commenter told me to stay close to SR, and I did just that because I am DESPERATE to succeed and was willing to listen to any and all advice. Another person told me how if I just got through night #1, I'd never need to have a night #1 again. Yet another mentioned how others have survived this hell and come out the other end sober, so I could too. All of these comments gave me HOPE. All of these words of wisdom and more made the difference between drinking and trying to start living. Never would I have thought a website could be so helpful. I know without a doubt I would have already caved without it. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am feeling strong (for now, at least... god knows I've realized it goes up and down in mere moments, particularly when my brain must still be so messed up from years of alcohol abuse). But, I'm feeling for strong (and sober) for now, And that is an amazing feeling. I just need to take it ONE day at a time (no more looking ahead and worrying at what I will miss not drinking!), and hopefully those days will add up to the extraordinary lifetime we all deserve. If anyone has any more advice that they remember really struck a nerve when they were first quitting, I'll take all the advice I can get! Best, sohard
Old 10-11-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a lovely post - thank you. We're so glad you joined us. Your own positive attitude & desire for a better life is giving you courage & determination. I agree, I didn't think a website could possibly help me. I only came here by accident, looking for info. on health issues. As you can see, I've been here 10 yrs. I never left. Never picked up again, either.

Congrats on your Day 4. We know how hard you worked to get there.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep ,moving forward sohard - its the only way to go

D
Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Soberado

Congrats on a great start with 4 days in, the first week is the toughest so hang in there! The physical addiction passed pretty quick for me but the mental battle hung on for awhile. I can't say I'm 100% back to normal because I don't remember who that was, so I am relearning me and really like the non-drinking version. Set small attainable goals for yourself and the sober days will add up fast. Actually I don't even count the days anymore, I have a rough idea where I'm at and the day I quit. As the sober days tick away you will hit your stride and things get much easier with the mental associations surrounding drinking. Best of Luck to you.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Add gratitude to your list of things to do each day. Every day give thanks for all your blessings, be they people, events, or things.

The first thing I'm grateful for each day is waking up sober and feeling good.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Add gratitude to your list of things to do each day. Every day give thanks for all your blessings, be they people, events, or things.

The first thing I'm grateful for each day is waking up sober and feeling good.
Yes, it is so strange to wake to feeling not tired or hungover. I'd been waking up that way for two decades so I honestly forgot what it felt like to feel well rested. I thought everyone felt the way I did each day! This is really eye opening. Thank you - yes, I will definitely add gratitude to my list of things to do each day.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you so hard! I'm still blown away at the physical feeling of being sober, that relaxed and peaceful feeling. We could get used to this, you know. How about no more waking up at 3am in a panic with shakes and sweats? Like, ever? Yes, please.