Notices

AA is starting to get to me. I wanna leave but..

Old 09-10-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA is starting to get to me. I wanna leave but..

I've been going to AA for a little over a year and the past couple of months I find the meetings repetitive, boring, and tedious. My support group asked me to switch up meetings but I work and don't have time to travel far. And i have service commitments.

At one meeting I hear the same people say the same old tired things all the time. I don't understand how people with 5,10,20 years still go to AA. I'm starting to think of leaving AA because it does nothing for me anymore. Is there another way of staying sober? Other people in AA say if you leave AA it's jails,institutions, or death.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onegodunder9 View Post
Other people in AA say if you leave AA it's jails,institutions, or death.
more than likely they say its that for themselves.

AA itself says it isnt the only way and just hopes people find what works for them.

i hope ya find what works for ya.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is there another way of staying sober?
There's actually many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you also visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

The main thing tho - whatever you decide to do - is do something.
In my experience, inaction just leads to more drinking.

D
Old 09-10-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have met a bunch of people over the years who have felt the same way. It turns out there was a whole dimension of AA they were missing out on because of poor sponsorship.

Their story went like this. Initially, the meetings were great. Kind sympathetic people who understood, and lots of drinking (problem) history shared which could be identified with. It was a nice feeling to be included in the fellowship. For some it was almost the first time they felt like belonged.

A year or two later, all that has changed. The meetings are now boring and repetitive. They have had a life times supply of drunkalogues. They have done everything suggested, do service, lots of meetings, but the internal condition has not improved, in fact it is getting worse. Restless irritable and discontent. In short AA had not worked and they were about to leave.

Some of these folk came along to a big book study meeting we had just started. They literally said "what's all this? Nobody has told us about this part" (the solution). I was quite amazed myself to see the change. Those guys didn't leave. They found out what was in the big book and began putting into effect in their lives. They took the steps and now help others through the steps, and their lives have changed very much for the better. Same with my own life, a huge benefit of being involved.

If you get on a website called odomtology, AA speakers and look for Chris R and Myers R you may relate. Both had seven years in AA "don't drink and go to meetings"'one couldn't stay sober, the other had very similar experience to yours.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been going to 6 to 9 AA meeting a week for the last 8 months. I have been to many bad meeting but most of them were good.

I have a group of close friends I have met that are at most of the same meetings as I go to but I still mix with other people at these meetings.

I occasionally find a meeting in another part of town just for the experience - I might get bored with AA someday but as of now I love it and it helps me.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've removed posts.
This thread is closed.

Dee
SR