Notices

overwhelmed

Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

overwhelmed

Today I went to my first AA meeting didn't go bad it was actually quite peaceful but it is hard because by this time I would have already put down a pint to a fifth of whiskey and now that I'm on my first day without drinking and trying not to it's all rushing back and overwhelming how I hurt those I love most just want to crawl up in a ball I'm finding it very hard not to go to the store and get a bottle the depression is what makes it the hardest for me I've suffered with it for years and the alcohol was the only thing that would make it go away but one minute one hour one day at a time right
Old 08-13-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's right Griff. The first few days are the hardest. I found that keeping myself busy helped. Going for walks, taking showers, watching long movies, reading, journaling, posting here on SR...all helps. Things will get easier as time passes. Hang in there and you will be so happy that you did!
Old 08-13-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll be willing to bet I can guess what those people that you love that you also hurt want most. It's you to be sober.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kudos to you for attending a meeting.. I hope you give it an honest try. Wishing you the best! Have a great week!
Old 08-13-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

I remember my first AA meeting vivdly. I couldn't tell you a thing that was said, but I remember that it opened a floodgate of emotions that overwhelmed me and I couldn't wait for it to end so I could go grab a beer, which is exactly what I did. Also, in typical fashion, I didn't stop with one beer.

The next morning, when I woke up, surprise surprise, I still had a drinking problem and a feeling of doom. Later on in my journey, I discovered that not drinking and doing step work took care of both of those much better than drinking ever did.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good for you. keep it up.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem Griffey

Keep moving forward - you will get through this and in time, you'll make amends and you will find peace. There's a ton of support here.

Good to have you join us

D