Notices

trip....

Old 07-28-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trip....

My wife and daughter are leaving this morning on a trip for 4 days. I was doing AWESOME until LAST NIGHT. I had a drinking dream that I was crackin back beers with my old man. I woke up and i swear i could taste it.

Scared the s#it out of me. WTF?? I thought I was fine with this on every level.

i don't want to alert the fam, but this has me a bit twisted. I was thinking after they left, take a car out of storage and hit the road with my dog and maybe go camping. hmmmm....
Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Dreams like that are very common bulldog, and they are just that...dreams. Not an indication that there is a problem, nor predictive of the future. When you drank like we did there's bound to be thoughts/memories about it floating around in your head. I still have them occasionsally at almost 5 years sober.

So don't sweat it...it was just a dream. Do some extra recovery work if you think it's warranted, but make plans to enjoy the weekend. Make a list of projects you have been meaning to do. Check in here as often as you need to.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Family taking a trip is a common danger point I think...never had the family myself so I'm not speaking from direct experience

I friend of mine from a few years back would regularly get a few months together and be doing well then announce his family were going away for a few days and he was fine, was going to spend a few days redecorating the kitchen...next thing he was drunk. It became so regular we all saw it coming before he did.

I think Alcoholism/AV/Whatever you choose to call it gets excited at the idea of a few days of freedom where nobody has to know what we're up to...that idea I can relate to even if I don't have the family.

At least you have recognised this and voiced it. What are your plans to keep yourself safe and busy while they are away?

P
Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

Although, they are definitely not pleasant, drinking dreams are just that, dreams.

I quit smoking over 10 years ago and I still have the occasional smoking dream!

It is such a relief to wake up and realize it was only a dream.

Stay with it, BullDog, stay aware, you've got this!

Old 07-28-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Without sounding like a loony tune, I believe that dream was your subconscious AV telling you. Wow, my folks are gone for a few days and I can have a party. It's dangerous territory and I would consider it a warning from your subconscious mind.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

after that dream and them leaving, i thought "s#it...i better air on the side of caution".

So i grabbed my pit and some guns and went and visited a vet buddy of mine that's got some land down south. Bunch of us did some tactical shooting and got to catch up for a bit. I got home 30 minutes before my wife and daughter.

I smell like gunpowder and barbecue. I'm gonna go shower and catch up with the fam. Stayed sober. I'm proud of me.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
after that dream and them leaving, i thought "s#it...i better air on the side of caution".

So i grabbed my pit and some guns and went and visited a vet buddy of mine that's got some land down south. Bunch of us did some tactical shooting and got to catch up for a bit. I got home 30 minutes before my wife and daughter.

I smell like gunpowder and barbecue. I'm gonna go shower and catch up with the fam. Stayed sober. I'm proud of me.
Good job staying sober! 👍

In AA where I go a lot of people have a drinking dreams, as do I. I'm always so drunk in these dreams and I have to get something done and I've totally relapsed and the world is about to implode on me.

I'm always totally relieved when I wake up.