Notices

Blah.....

Old 05-17-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I don't know what's up with me for the last few days...... I just feel really flat and meh. I just have no interest, not even in some of the new hobbies I've taken up, all I want to do is withdraw and do nothing. ..
Zen- You and I have the same time in recovery and I too have been feeling like withdrawing. I also eat well, workout and get outside every day and afterwards I feel great...but then my mood begins to slip and I just want to be by myself...reading, journaling or watching movies.

The way I've looked at it is while 3 months is great...I still have a long way to go. From what I've been reading here on SR, the first year is full of ups and downs. Not every day is a downer for me, but I DO have many. I'm just going to roll with it, work my plan and expect that more change will follow.

Hope you feel better soon Sista!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
Zen- You and I have the same time in recovery and I too have been feeling like withdrawing. I also eat well, workout and get outside every day and afterwards I feel great...but then my mood begins to slip and I just want to be by myself...reading, journaling or watching movies.

The way I've looked at it is while 3 months is great...I still have a long way to go. From what I've been reading here on SR, the first year is full of ups and downs. Not every day is a downer for me, but I DO have many. I'm just going to roll with it, work my plan and expect that more change will follow.

Hope you feel better soon Sista!

i heard in an aa meeting one night that we should cherish the good days cause theres not to many of them. I guess that doesnt sound very positive on one hand. but Its held pretty true for me. more of then then not days are crap or boreing or dull or just another day. Its not to often i get a really good one that stands out. Its just how it is i suppose.

reminds me of the scene in bad santa when the kid finds all his chocolates where replaced with candy corn and he's told "welp they cant all be winners kid". I find myself saying the very same thing a lot.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just put on some 90's rap and had a kitchen dance party. Music can be such an immediate mood lifter, it's easy to forget how much better it can make me feel. It's all in my head and where I let my mind go......

Old 05-18-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
zjw

oh no whats next ton loc, vanilla ice sir mix a lot? lol

yea our brains can take us on quite the detour if we let them.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Just put on some 90's rap and had a kitchen dance party. Music can be such an immediate mood lifter, it's easy to forget how much better it can make me feel. It's all in my head and where I let my mind go......

Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So I've come down with a nasty cold/flu..... explains the lethargy, my body was probably trying to fight it off before it set in. I went to bed yesterday at 630 and slept right through until this morning at 4 when I got up and went to work because I've burned through all my personal time...... I've picked up a second job so I've been going from one job straight to another a few days a week. Glad I have 3 days off after today although it sucks that I'm sick for the long weekend. I'm going to spend today watching movies and napping lol

Here's another 90's track that my friends and I performed a choreographed dance routine to in grade 8 in front of the school for a talent show! Haha! It was awesome as you can imagine, I had that running man down!

Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Zen- although I loathe the term...'dry drunk' comes to mind...for me that is...I find that being sober is not enough. Yep like you have interests, try to keep busy- but the glass just seems half empty. Meetings help fill it a little more- maybe not for the dogma some spout- but for the commonalities and human connection. It gets me out of my head space. Also I do a certain amount of recovery work everyday. If I feel crap- I write down what has happened and then try and turn it around- make a positive, learn from it. Living in the now- not dwell in the past (but still learn from it) and plan for tomorrow.
Support to you...
Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How cool were you, Zen! I've just had my own kitchen party! I absolutely loved the Run-DMZ track and Snap's 'I've got the power'. They brought back very happy memories of that era.

Oh my, I'm still dancing and my dogs love the Snap track, they're dancing around my feet!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Zen- although I loathe the term...'dry drunk' comes to mind...for me that is...I find that being sober is not enough. Yep like you have interests, try to keep busy- but the glass just seems half empty. Meetings help fill it a little more- maybe not for the dogma some spout- but for the commonalities and human connection. It gets me out of my head space. Also I do a certain amount of recovery work everyday. If I feel crap- I write down what has happened and then try and turn it around- make a positive, learn from it. Living in the now- not dwell in the past (but still learn from it) and plan for tomorrow.
Support to you...
I saw a pic once of a half full glass and the person claimed it was not half full it was half full of liquid and half full of air but it was indeed full lol. I thought how about that? lol.

I like what FlyNBuy said in another thread
Staying sober in the pain gives me an opportunity, hope that circumstances and the way I perceive them, can change. Ending life - drinking again douses that hope, permanently.
it really stood out for me. becuase yeah i could go drink that might liven up my situation. It might numb out my pain. it might bring a smile to my face and all. But good god it sure was so incredibly hopeless tho and there was no sign of relief in sight.

I can think of a lot of reasons to drink but i cant think of any to go through that misery again go figure.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I can think of no reasons to drink, zilch, nada, none whatsover. Any thought of drinking is not me, but my habituated brain circuits which created an addiction to my habit of choice -alcohol. I won't bore anyone with the details because if you don't know, then you've not googled!

I am NOT that habituated part of my brain - I'm the higher brain, which can transcend and control the habituated brain part, completely. Please Zen, don't follow the RGM recommendation. When I was there, I encountered people with 30 plus years 'sobriety' but they were dry-drunks, one day at a time, white-knuckling, desparately trying to recruit new members so that they could stay sober by working the 12th step - 'to keep it you need to pass it on'. Not for me, it sounds like a life sentence.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Get well soon Zen

Please lets all share what works for us, not what doesn't. I don't want to have to start removing posts under rule 4.

4. No Flaming: Respect other members of the community....Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.
Please respect the rights of others to hold beliefs and perspectives, which differ from yours.
Thanks everyone

Dee
SR
Old 05-20-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think everyone, non and never have been a drinkers included, goes through periods when they have a certain dissatisfation with their lives and are "looking" for something. I don't think "dry drunk" is actually a scientific fact, or even term!

When people give up drinking, I think at first they tend to put every dissatisfaction they have in life down to their having stopped drinking..classic AV.
What can the people who have never had an addiction and are feeling a certain amount of dissatisfaction put it down to? lol
I think it is important to not define the whole of the rest of your life on you having once had an addiction to alcohol. No, you won't ever want to drink alcohol again, given where it takes you, but you will have the same trials and tribulations as the rest of never-been-addicted humanity!
Old 05-20-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
don't follow the RGM recommendation.
What is the RGM thing Tatsy?
Old 05-20-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Mike, I'm mindful of Dee's post above and don't wish to reply here and risk giving rise to disharmony. I'm more than happy to discuss, via PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. God, I'm really sick.....ugh, just slept like 12 hours straight and my head and chest are all stuffed up and my body feels like it weighs a thousand pounds. Yeah I'm not a dry drunk but I think Phoenix was talking about himself and not me. I think I was experiencing a combination of AV activity and a physical reaction to this flu attacking my body. These things happen, it's all good, I'm going to survive. At no point was I considering going back to drinking, it was never up for debate. I just went from feeling really upbeat and positive to really low energy and mood and it was such a huge contrast that I started questioning myself and of course I attributed it to quitting drinking, classic AV like Gary pointed out.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GaryB1 View Post
I think everyone, non and never have been a drinkers included, goes through periods when they have a certain dissatisfation with their lives and are "looking" for something. I don't think "dry drunk" is actually a scientific fact, or even term!
I don't believe it is a scientific fact either. However, it does get tossed around in AA. Usually says more about the accuser than the accused.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yeah zen, sometimes those viruses can start to kick in mentally even before any physical symptoms appear, just shows you though, how the AV will bring everything that happens down to it's because you are not drinking lol
Hope you feel better soon