Notices

Need some good ideas for mental exercises

Old 05-12-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some good ideas for mental exercises

I've finally made it 6 months and thought I was finally done with PAWS and it's symptoms but for the past week I have been unable to concentrate on anything and my memory is horrible.

Are there some mental exercise or activities I can do to help with this?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

14s,

My paws was different...my memory didn't really go.

I suffered spatial disorientation and anxiety for the better part of 2 years.

Yay....

It is all clearing up dramatically lately.

I'm definitely on guard for any thoughts of relapse.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

In early months, I spent time every day doing things that helped me focus and avoid depressed, anxious, negative thoughts. I posted (still do) to a gratitude thread here first thing every day. Every day I looked up a bird or a flower or an animal and tried to learn everything I could about it, and find the best pictures I could, to share with someone else. I spent a lot of time that way and it seemed to help.

This is a thread I started -- not then, but later. It might help you to post to it or create something like it. I might resurrect it myself -- been thinking on it anyway, now's maybe the time. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6007176
Old 05-12-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My brain fog and memory is terrible. I downloaded the app BrainHQ and the audio file neural agility. I do both everyday and it's helped with the brain fog for sure. My memory on the other hand seems to be getting worse while in sobriety. I am 239 days today and I have hope that it will start improving soon. Good luck. Hope this helped.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank y'all, I'll definitely check out the apps and links you provided. My brain fog is bad too, I notice when I get like this i have a horrible time spelling things and I lose track of my thoughts quickly. I really want to work on improving this area
Old 05-13-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I watched a TedTalks about how new neurons are born in brain and they said that certain things helped the process happen more frequently. Sleeping, meditating, exercise, healthy diet, and learning new skills. The things that slowed the process down were drugs and alcohol, being sleep deprived, not eating well, stress, being sedentry.

Here is the talk if you are interested. I have been learning to play the guitar and exercising daily and I find those things really help to heal my mind and body.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jigsaw puzzles
Chess
Colouring in books (YES!)
X-word puzzles
Sudoku
Old 05-13-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ I've heard coloring (US spelling) is a great way to focus and calm your mind.

What ever happened to "paint by numbers"?

Learning a new skill also gives an opportunity to practice patience and self-forgiveness.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Games that require a bit of concentration and thinking are great for improving the mind.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Some excellent ideas above; I also read aloud to myself - articles, poems, news items - and have taken up playing the piano again.
Another thing I have found helpful is to simplify - decluttering, having fewer distractions in general, having a simple yet reasonably flexible routine.
An appointment diary is essential for me; also a notebook to quickly jot down ideas and items of interest.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Crosswords and mahjong
Old 05-14-2017, 11:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The worst of my recovery after two years is memory related issues and anxiety. I eat well, exercise and have zero addictions remaining and still deal with those two. I have noticed that if I take care of the anxiety first I have less of a problem with the others. That being said alcohol is a cause of dementia and memory issues. That is one of the big reasons why a lot of us could never drink again. God Bless!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is a great thread.

I agree with courage that a gratitude list is helpful from multiple perspectives.

For me, reading is the solution to many questions and issues.

Reading opens the door to the rest of the world outside my doorstep.

It gives me a better understanding of the English language.

Reading helps me communicate with others much better.

It inspires me.

It teaches me history and it helps me savor the arts.

I even garner a modicum of wisdom from time to time.

At the age of 60, maintaining (or reclaiming, as the case may be) mental acuity is a big deal, so I read as much as I can.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

exercise class- step aerobics or a dance class. Something where you have to learn the steps.