Notices

cousins wedding

Old 04-27-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cousins wedding

Received an invitation to my cousins wedding in June. The party is on the 9th, wedding day 10th.

I know they'll all be drinking and I was thinking about not going but it doesn't mean I have to drink if I do attend and no one can push me right?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right.

I think the key is to always have a plan for these things. Such as, drive yourself there, be prepared to leave after a short time at the party/reception if you are uncomfortable, and have a declarative sentence prepared. "I have to go, thanks, see you later."

No means no. I don't give reasons why I'm not having a drink, I just say, "No, thanks. I'll have a ginger ale, please." If anyone asks why, there are many truthful reasons that don't invite conversation.

"I don't feel like it."
"I am driving."
"I don't like how it makes me feel."
"I'm not drinking today."

No one gets to tell me what to eat or drink. That is a sacred choice I make for my body. If I am confident in my decision, no one can throw me off.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you talking to us or you? Really only you know that. I don't think I would go. You seem to have a little more sobriety time than me.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You are the only one that can physically make the decision to drink alcohol Doubter. Certainly there are situations where people will "push" you to drink, but at the end of the day it's your choice as to whether you do it or not. I personally avoided those kinds of situations for quite some time when I initially got sober, but I do attend weddings, graduation parties, etc now. What you will notice eventually is that there are plenty of people who aren't drinking at these events too - and not because they are alcoholics, but because they just don't drink.

If you feel you won't be able to handle it I'd suggest staying away from the party at this time. You can attend the wedding ceremony itself without the party and pay your respects/congratulate the couple there. The ceremony is really the most important part anyway, right?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

RIght. But if in doubt, go to the wedding, skip the party.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
RIght. But if in doubt, go to the wedding, skip the party.
Ditto. Attend the wedding. Skip the party.