Notices

I want to drink...

Old 04-15-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to drink...

And I can't stop thinking about it! It is 9pm, Saturday night,... Alone, working on something creative (designing a jacket)... And yet, thinking about drinking... Can't stop. It comes and goes. There are moments when I stop thinking about alcohol and then suddenly, that is all I can think about. Right now, one of the reasons I am obsessing over it is because in the past, I was always associating drugging/drinking with being creative. I get more flexible, more adventurous, more self-confident so I allow myself to create... So tonight, in a long time, I am learning to be creative yet feeling fears, living self-doubt, going through the waves of craving alcohol, craving release... A sense of freedom that is not, of course, by the end... a prison with golden gates...
Old 04-15-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Coming here to share is a good idea. Your mind and body need time to recover and rewire, it's quite a shock to remove the depressant effect of alcohol.

It's a raw feeling. At first, but drinking again will offer no releif....the anxiety will come back even stronger. Have you considered reaching out for help in person via a support group or counselor? Sometimes we need a lot of extra support to get through the first days/weeks.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Put this on as you're working on your project. Focus on deep breathing. You can ride it out. I did, and I was a maniac when trying to get my hands on alcohol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P7kd5AtZrk
Old 04-15-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Use simple logic. Getting drunk is a dead end street. That's the great illusion of alcoholism. You think your better with it than without it. Just don't drink. That's your only option that will work. Drinking never will. Surrender to sobriety and move on with life. Stop craving certain misery. It's ludicrous. Period.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Talent is innate - it doesn't need alcohol to help it come out - it's already there

D
Old 04-15-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Read Stephen King's autobiography, "On Writing." He's a long-term recovered alcoholic and addict and he does a great job of smacking the "drunk = creative genius" nonsense squarely on the nose.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Empathy and support, posting a lot helps. Anytime