Notices

Almost 24 hours in ..

Old 04-08-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JPinkman View Post
Hi there. This is my first ever post on here, but I come on SR and read quite a bit. This thread really captured my attention, and I am pulling for you Ryguy. I am coming up on 4 yrs sober in May, and your story really brings back memories of the early battle. Keep going strong, brother! I'll be the first to tell you that it does start getting better with time. And thanks for sharing what you're going through. For me it will act as yet another tool in my box. And this tool box has become extremely valuable to me, as it is my armor against that first drink. By the way, how are things today?

JP
Thanks, JP!

Things are going really well. Exceeding all expectations I had. Today is day 10 ... ten days without alcohol. I am just floored. And I have every intention of starting day 11, tomorrow.

This has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I feel empowered. That being said, I also know that this euphoria won't last forever -- that I need to continue to be keenly aware of my addiction. I have learned so much about myself since I stopped drinking and, one particular thing that sticks out, is how much stronger I am than I previously thought.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryguy83 View Post
things are going really well. Exceeding all expectations i had. Today is day 10 ... Ten days without alcohol. I am just floored. And i have every intention of starting day 11, tomorrow.

This has been one of the most rewarding things i have ever done. I feel empowered. That being said, i also know that this euphoria won't last forever -- that i need to continue to be keenly aware of my addiction. I have learned so much about myself since i stopped drinking and, one particular thing that sticks out, is how much stronger i am than i previously thought.
wtg
Old 04-08-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyGuy83 View Post
Thanks, JP!

Things are going really well. Exceeding all expectations I had. Today is day 10 ... ten days without alcohol. I am just floored. And I have every intention of starting day 11, tomorrow.

This has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I feel empowered.
Hey man, that is fantastic, keep going!

Going from being a daily drinker to drinking nothing is a huge change, be careful to not get overwhelmed. It sounds like you already know this, but just remember that all of the challenges in life that you dealt with, in part, by drinking, will still be there. The key is to take life as it comes and don't get discouraged. Even though my life is immeasurably better since I quit, I still have some bad days and some good days....but mostly now I just have days; whether they are bad or good depends largely on what I do with them. The point is, it's up to ME now, not the drink. I took back that power from alcohol.

And the bad days? There is nothing about them that will be made better by drinking.

Stay strong and keep up the good work!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 12 is coming to an end. I feel the best I've felt in years.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

2 weeks in now, officially.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats RyGuy

D
Old 04-13-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Huge Congratulations RyGuy!!! That's a great accomplishment getting two weeks. You're on a heater lets keep this going. Think about committing to a recovery program like AA, SMART, etc.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Three weeks, today.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

3 weeks is fantastic!! How are you feeling? Is the anxiety gone?

I am around the same stage, 4 weeks tomorrow. And I had a hard time falling asleep last night, I was wicked anxious and almost had a panic attack. (heart palpitations) These have been happening occasionally, might be from exercise or stress....need to follow up with my doctor soon!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CoffeeInstead View Post
3 weeks is fantastic!! How are you feeling? Is the anxiety gone?

I am around the same stage, 4 weeks tomorrow. And I had a hard time falling asleep last night, I was wicked anxious and almost had a panic attack. (heart palpitations) These have been happening occasionally, might be from exercise or stress....need to follow up with my doctor soon!
Thanks!

The alcohol-related anxiety is pretty much gone. I still have my underlying anxiety that I've had for years. But the weird thing? It's WAY easier to manage and not nearly as bad. Huge benefit.

I was sick as a dog over the weekend. Stomach virus. I basically lived in the bathroom -- it was awful. But I powered through. And didn't drink.

The cravings are minimal these days ... I'll take it while I can!

Congrats to you on 4 weeks tomorrow!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Awesome job, Ryguy!! Keep going, brother. One thing I always try to do is make not only mental notes throughout each day, but also actual notes in a journal detailing exactly how I feel, and how much better that feeling is than being hungover, in the throws of withdrawal, sick, etc. I have found that for me this has become an excellent defense mechanism against that first drink. Things will not be back to 100% better overnight, but with each new day you are giving yourself a chance at what the big book accurately describes as a "life beyond our wildest dreams". Give yourself this chance bro, and keep up the great work!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JPinkman View Post
Awesome job, Ryguy!! Keep going, brother. One thing I always try to do is make not only mental notes throughout each day, but also actual notes in a journal detailing exactly how I feel, and how much better that feeling is than being hungover, in the throws of withdrawal, sick, etc. I have found that for me this has become an excellent defense mechanism against that first drink. Things will not be back to 100% better overnight, but with each new day you are giving yourself a chance at what the big book accurately describes as a "life beyond our wildest dreams". Give yourself this chance bro, and keep up the great work!
Thanks JP.

I've got a journal going here on my iPad that I make entries in, if not every day, every couple of days. Been doing it since day 1. It's already satisfying to read.

What's also cool is I have a ton of other entries from previous months / years where I wrote about how hungover I was at the time and that I needed to stop drinking.

Those are just delicious.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I haven't posted in this thread in a while. I can't believe that today is Day 28 . Still going strong and feeling excellent.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work man..it only gets better!