Notices

Reflections on 1 year of sobriety...

Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

Reflections on 1 year of sobriety...

I'm not a regular presence here anymore, but just wanted to check in to let everyone know what my resolution last March to examine every facet of my life in detail and ditch what wasn't working has been a great success. Obviously, the first thing to go was alcohol, which had been pretty much the "root of all evil" for my entire life.

Looking back (which you shouldn't really spend that much time doing, in my opinion), the realization that I've spent the last 30 years abusing alcohol on a daily basis makes me wonder what I could have accomplished in life had I chosen this path earlier. So while I don't want this post to be story of woe and regret, I would like it to serve as a shout-out to those 20-somethings here that are in the same situation as I was.

My advice to you is this: The path of least resistance and the path of greatest reward are entirely separate. Sometimes they appear to run parallel, but the longer you accept this illusion, the further you will deviate from the true path - the one that leads to peace, contentment, health and happiness.

Quitting alcohol was easy. The difficult part is creating - and believing in, your resolve to rebuild your life around the pillars of heath, happiness and meaning while maintaining that resolve during the hard times. It's about learning the difference between simply resisting the temptation to drown your reality in booze versus understanding exactly why you want to do so, and what you stand to lose by returning to your old vices.

Do whatever it takes to pull yourself out of the vortex currently sucking you down into a drunken oblivion. It's an illusion. A siren's song. And most importantly, find out what it is that makes that drunken oblivion such an attractive place to you. Therapy, prayer, meditation, etc. Find out what it is you're hiding from, covering up or drowning out and face it head on.

Life is so much more beautiful when you've faced down your demons and flipped them a big ol' bird right in their faces.

Peace.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fitcher, thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I am only a few weeks into recovery, but I too have spent the last 30 years abusing alcohol. You are spot on with what you say...
Old 03-30-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post and great words of advice for the younger members!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me a while to realize what made me drink. I had a Eureka!!! moment and that cemented my desire to stop.

I can't blame it on someone else. For me it was laziness, nothing fancy or heartbreaking. I've had some bruises in life, so has everyone else. Just plain out laziness.

I've always had a high stress job. From the military to my company (I resigned in August as one of the founders) and the stress off a lifetime of critical path operations, one after the other and never ending became suffocating. Alcohol made me forget or simply not care. It was an escape. It was lazy. But the next morning, lo and behold, the issue was still there only another 24 hours more in delay. I decided to do a (Get ready for it, THE overused word) paradigm shift. In my career and in my life.

No regrets on the divorce with alcohol. It is a needy, selfish, abusive spouse. In clear thinking hindsight I probably could have handled leaving the partnership better. Just walking in and giving 60 days notice out of the blue was a D*** move. But alcohol had destroyed my life learned calm resolve. All I was left with was the primal "fight or flight". As childish as a politician.

It is nice to be in charge of ME again. I am only 105 days sober. I can't wait to meet the 1005 days sober me. I'm glad to have friends to enjoy the journey with.

Best to you all.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congratulations on a year of sobriety, and thanks so much for the insightful words...that is exactly the kind of thing we can all learn from. I wish you the best of luck moving forward and don't be afraid to check in here a little more often!
Old 03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your year Fitcher

D
Old 03-31-2017, 12:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one year of sobriety, Fitcher! Such an inspirational post and insightful advice, I do hope younger folks will find it and digest - if only I'd read it decades ago. I too, hope you post again!

Alan, congratulations on 105 days sobriety and sharing your inspiring journey.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
under new management

Great post and congrats on 1 year!!!

Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Fitcher.

This really spoke to me. I'm 28 at the moment and I've only recently stopped drinking.

What you said about how alcohol's charm is like an illusion, a siren's song is so true..

There's so many times i really just want to kick back with some wine but it never ever ends well. Never.

When i actually look back, from the first time i drank it was always a disaster. It's only been the past few years alcoholism really crept up on me. But when i look back further is was apparent from the start.

I won't allow alcohol to waste any more of my time. I believe we only live once, so i want to make the best of my life. I can't do that being a drunk.

Thanks for sharing your story. It really helped waver the feeling of wanting to drink today.

Congrats on a year sober ^^ <3
Old 03-31-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

Originally Posted by TheLuckyCat View Post
Hi Fitcher.
Thanks for sharing your story. It really helped waver the feeling of wanting to drink today.
Wow, reading that just made my week!

You know, the years between ages 28 and 51 (my current age) passed in what felt like a space of 5 years. If I had a do-over, I would absolutely use that time to experience the world, to travel, to experience life, to meet new people, to maintain old friendships and to make great music. Instead, I did only 2 things during those years: 1) Work and 2) Drink.

So while I am a firm believer in the adage that "it's never too late to begin", I can't help be wonder what an additional 20+ years of living a life of purpose, meaning and adventure would have felt like.

Life is too short and too precious to spend drunk!
Old 03-31-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations for as we know, many poor drunks will never get to share in the joy of sobriety.
M-Bob
Old 03-31-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Getting to a year sober is a big accomplishment. I disagree with you that quitting was easy. It was by far the hardest thing that I have ever done in my life. Knowing that I would have to do it again if I fell off the wagon has been a big motivation for me to "keep the plug in the jug". I never ever want to go through those first ninety days again. In fact, after the first year it's a relative walk in the park.

I am also 51 and closing in on my 6th year of sobriety. I also quit smoking pot three years ago. Learning to live without the "carrot" of the next buzz has been the main challenge of this whole adventure for me. Living in the moment is hard but ultimately very rewarding. What you say about the "path of least resistance" resonates with me.

Keep it going. It just gets better.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That makes a LOT Of sense gaffo! There is always something us addicts can glom onto for our next fix. Always have to be aware that is for sure.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
I disagree with you that quitting was easy. It was by far the hardest thing that I have ever done in my life.
Yeah, strange how the same parts of this journey can present themselves so differently to each of us.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Saved into my "motivational folder."

Thanks for taking the time to post this Fitcher. I'm looking forward to reading your year 2, 3, 4,...

CJ
Old 04-02-2017, 01:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Thanks for posting.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Great post Fitcher and congrats on one year!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

One road to loneliness,
it's always the same.
One road to happiness,
It's calling your name.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

Currently working on my Unified Field Theory of Life.
A year of sobriety has made it possible for me to dream on such a huge scale.
The journey for me really begins right now. The past year has been about preparing for it.
Stay tuned...