Notices

3 weeks sober but still feel off

Old 03-10-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks sober but still feel off

Well I made it thru 3 weeks today but I'm still feeling a little off especially in the mornings but at night I feel ok. Every morning I feel very anxious and have bouts of being light headed. Then tonight we went out to eat and they sat us right next to the bar!! That was a little rough at first but as time went on the conversation at our table distracted me and I forgot all about what was going on at the bar right beside us. But the first 5 minutes there I couldn't help but notice all the normal drinkers, I even noticed one person leave and left a half glass of beer on their table!! I thought to myself who the hell doesn't finish their beer!!!
Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there man. You'll feel better as time go's by. Quit dwelling on alcohol. You're an alcoholic right? That means you drink, you die. You quit, you live. Those are the only 2 choices you have. Use simple logic. You can't drink anymore.
Congrats on 3 weeks. You have a good head start on beating this disease. Give it time.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Morning anxiety is just a thing. I found that if I got up and immediately did something physical, whether it was make the bed and shower, or 50 jumping jacks or a brisk walk - that was the only thing that burned off that excess morning energy. And breathing. Breathing regularly - really important I found. It dies off quickly, that anxious feeling - but it's there for sure for some of us.

Part of it is that cortisol production (a stress hormone) peaks just before waking, so nature has equipped me to bolt out of sleep and run from that leopard or bear.

*Sigh* let it go, Nature. It's annoying. I've learned to make peace with it.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on three weeks!! It does get easier and you will feel better sooner than later. Don't drink because you'll have to experience all this BS again and it will be worse that's for sure. One more week you'll have your month and that's a huge deal.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am almost 20 weeks sober after 27 years of daily drinking and I am still no where near 100%.

At 3 weeks I was still a total mess so I think you are doing good.

The mornings were dreadful for me for the first few months and things are getting better everyday.

Good luck and hang in there. It only gets better.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on three weeks Harley!!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I see people leave half their drinks and I too question how can they do that?! I'd say my questioning is more of a jealousy though. Like why couldn't I be a normal drinker? Why can't I just have a drink now and then and NOT overdo it?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RockNRose View Post
I see people leave half their drinks and I too question how can they do that?! I'd say my questioning is more of a jealousy though. Like why couldn't I be a normal drinker? Why can't I just have a drink now and then and NOT overdo it?

I get jealous too when I see people drinking normal.

Thank God this light headed and anxiety has finally lifted, this is first day I've felt normal in a long while. This was the longest I've ever experienced side effects from quitting alcohol.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was the opposite in that my mornings are/were generally good it was/is mid-afternoon that I feel off. Then again I used to start drinking everyday at 5:30 sharp so that probably explains it.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harley1973 View Post
I get jealous too when I see people drinking normal.

Thank God this light headed and anxiety has finally lifted, this is first day I've felt normal in a long while. This was the longest I've ever experienced side effects from quitting alcohol.
Not to be a downer, but don't be surprised if it comes back at times. Just don't want you to get blindsided like I did.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
Not to be a downer, but don't be surprised if it comes back at times. Just don't want you to get blindsided like I did.

I know... But in the meantime I'm gonna enjoy this day that's anxiety free and pray it doesn't come back!!
Old 03-11-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harley1973 View Post
I know... But in the meantime I'm gonna enjoy this day that's anxiety free and pray it doesn't come back!!
Oh no doubt. I'm just a guy who likes to be prepared and I wasn't the first time it "came back".
Old 03-11-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I cried constantly during my first 90 days and describe early sobriety as 24/7 PMS in a full moon! Trust me, it gets much, much better.