Notices

Acamprosate

Old 01-12-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acamprosate

Anyone take acamprosate? Does it work? Any bad side effects?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are a few threads on this so search for them.

My answer is yes, 3x daily. I have taken it since I quit drinking (today is 324 days, nearing 11 mo for me). I have sincerely had zero cravings (mental or physical) and if the Campral is why, amen. My pysch has plans to keep me on it indefinitely. I take a drug regimen with other meds too so other than the recent addition of Paxil and side effects (sleepiness, upset tummy) that I had connected to it, I have not had any ill side effects from Campral or my other meds.

I am a big fan. One note- I don't believe in using it as a kind of moderation method. I think it is a waste to take it if you just want to decrease your drinking; it works best to take as directed and let it work on a totally sober you.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried Campral years ago but it wasn't the solution for me. Bottom line for me is I was looking for a 'magic' fix and I had to realize that there isn't one. For me anyway. I have heard that it can help with cravings but don't know anyone personally that has had success. That's obviously anecdotal

Search around. There are a lot of old threads on this one. And I'm sure folks will chime in.

I hope you're doing ok Mester. Been thinking about you.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I took Antabuse for the first three months and worked the steps. Kind of going to any lengths. By the end of three months the drink problem had been removed, and the Antabuse was no longer needed.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't use antabuse for my job. I use too much hand sanitizer
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mester View Post

Good point...not always remembered. Hand gels, aftershave, mouthwash...you have to be very careful with acamprosate

P
Old 01-12-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's a good one. I never heard that before
Old 01-12-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
That's a good one. I never heard that before
Believe it or not

How the interaction occurs:

Disulfiram and medicines related to it cause an intolerance to alcohol by altering how the body breaks down alcohol. Many medicines (prescription and nonprescription), mouthwashes, and aftershaves contain alcohol. Even a small amount of alcohol (e.g. 15 ml or one tablespoon) can trigger the effects.

What might happen:

Ingesting alcohol or using topical preparations that contain alcohol may result in throbbing in the head and neck, irregular heart beat, rapid heart beat, low blood pressure, sweating, nausea, and vomiting. This interaction may last from 30 to 60 minutes to several hours, depending on the amount of alcohol consumed.
P
Old 01-12-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
Good point...not always remembered. Hand gels, aftershave, mouthwash...you have to be very careful with acamprosate

P
Just to be clear- Antabuse and campral/acamprosate are not the same drug.

Antabuse makes you ill if you ingest it - surface contact can cause averse reaction too- as it functions as a deterrent to drinking. Campral/acamprosate is primarily an anti craving med not one intended to cause potentially fatal side effects if you drink on it.

Antabuse is very serious and it does put some stress on the liver. Good Drs will prescribe it judiciously for he best candidates.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Mester
Have you looked into any of the discussions in the Secular Connections forum here on SR?
There is a lot there about cravings and perspectives about staying quit despite their presence.
Making zero cravings a precondition of staying quit doesn't sound like a manageable( to say nothing of achievable) long term goal, or short term for that matter.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've spent 4 years sober. I was around alcohol ALL the time. Wasn't easy in the beginning and sometimes I would leave. I want to try the acamprosate to help with the cravings.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Just to be clear- Antabuse and campral/acamprosate are not the same drug.

Antabuse makes you ill if you ingest it - surface contact can cause averse reaction too- as it functions as a deterrent to drinking. Campral/acamprosate is primarily an anti craving med not one intended to cause potentially fatal side effects if you drink on it.

Antabuse is very serious and it does put some stress on the liver. Good Drs will prescribe it judiciously for he best candidates.
Ah good point!

I should read and think before I post

P
Old 01-12-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

I've spent 4 years sober. I was around alcohol ALL the time. Wasn't easy in the beginning and sometimes I would leave. I want to try the acamprosate to help with the cravings.
What are your plans for future drinking , if it doesn't help with cravings?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
What are your plans for future drinking , if it doesn't help with cravings?
I figure something out. It's a bridge I'll cross if I get there
Old 01-12-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I've been on Campral for over 8 weeks now and I've found that it's helped significantly with cravings. For me it's another tool in my toolbox, which also includes AA, my sponsor, SR, and my supportive loved ones.

Edited to add: it's not a magic pill that's cured me of cravings or thoughts of drinking. But it's made them much more manageable than they've been in the past.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I figure something out. It's a bridge I'll cross if I get there
Campral and other anti-craving drugs are all meant to be used as a supplement to a active sobriety plan. There's no magic pill that's just going to take away your cravings entirely. It can help but they are only meant to be used for a limited period of time and in conjunction with other treatments.

And regarding the bridge - you've been to it twice already in the past month....it's going to come again so be ready for it. And remember that each subsequent relapse/detox can get progressively worse...so the cravings and detox side effects might be even stronger this time around.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

And regarding the bridge - you've been to it twice already in the past month....it's going to come again so be ready for it. And remember that each subsequent relapse/detox can get progressively worse...so the cravings and detox side effects might be even stronger this time around.
And that might be the least of your worries. People are always making the mistake of thinking they will get another chance if they go back out. A lot of them do, but there is no guarantee.

A chap I met the other day had a drink after several years of sobriety. He was an alcohol and drug counsellor. 11 years later he was released on parole.

Des was on his last legs. Got through withdrawals, then he had one more drink. That took him into korsakovs - permanent insanity. He was locked up for the rest of his life. There is no return from korsakovs.

Roger went off on a bender after many years sober. Crashed his car, broke his neck. Took three months in alcoholic hell to die. Couldn't speak, could only move one arm, wanted to drink but couldn't.

I could go on and on Mester. Alcoholism is every bit as deadly as any other terminal illness. The funny thing is with any other illness, the sufferer will usually follow directions unconditionally. The alcoholic is quite unique in wanting to negotiate an easier softer way.