Notices

Question.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question.

Who's DTs were so bad that you were actually hurting yourself because they (the voices) told you to?
Old 01-07-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never heard of that with DTs, but it might be indicative of some kinds of mental disorders.

I take it you're ok cos you've been sober a while now, 2009?

If anyone reading is experiencing this now, I really urge them to see a Dr.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had what I believe were DT's and I thought I had bugs crawling under my skin, and was scratching myself so hard to the point of bleeding a bit. Though I have not experienced any kind of self harm tendencies.
If you are experiencing that I agree with Dee I would go into a therapist asap as that could be a strong sign of other mental health issues.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I could be wrong here but my understanding is that with DTs people don't really remember them. Hallucinations are a different severe withdrawal symptom I believe.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had mostly audio hallucinations when I'd sober up. It would sound like the radio was on but continually changing stations every few seconds as soon as I laid my head down to sleep. But I knew they were hallucinations, they just were really annoying.
My grandfather (surprise surprise) was a severe alcoholic who died in his 30s. My dad would tell me stories of how once his dad came home in the morning and got a knife out to try to cut off his own leg at the knee. My grandma was having to wrestle it away from him. I reckon that might make an impression on an eleven year old.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there.

What your talking about sounds like a "Command Hallucination"...perceiving a voice which gives orders, that you feel compelled to obey or unable to resist.

That's unusual, I believe in Delirium Tremens though not unheard of. Hallucinations when they occur are more commonly auditory or visual, very unpleasant bit without the command element. Some discussion of it here:
Alcohol Withdrawal and Delirium Tremens | Recovery Blog | Castle Craig

I strongly advise you to seek medical advice immediately if you're hearing voices that tell you to harm yourself, and you feel unable to ignore them. That's a bad place to be.

Good luck, post back and let us know how you get on

P

Edit: Unless like Dee says this is in the past? Just noticed that.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2009 View Post
Who's DTs were so bad that you were actually hurting yourself because they (the voices) told you to?
As has already been posted, this is pretty severe. If a person is in such severe withdrawal as to 'believe' the voices and not know they are part of detox, that person is in serious danger.

I have heard things...the phantom radio, which has been mentioned. And I have had some crazy visual stuff when trying to sleep. Almost like a movie...didn't matter whether my eyes were open or shut. But I knew it wasn't real.

When I was in detox there was a guy there that was completely and totally gone. Thought he was in a movie, we were all the actors. They sent him to the ER. This was a medical facility and they weren't equipped to handle him. Never seen anything like it.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well, okay ... no I'm sober and clean now since Jan. 2016. I was hoping someone would share some scary stories of having DTs. Being in Jail they don't really care that much for a person going through really bad alcohol withdrawals. mine were definitely the worst. But thanks anyway 👌
btw .. Valium helps a lot with withdrawals. good for when you haven't slept for 6 years just drinking your life away. I started at an early age.