Notices

Red noses

Old 08-23-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red noses

I had quitting on my mind the last time I went to the liquor store (3 weeks ago). But here I was buying whiskey anyway. I knew I was quitting soon and should have just gotten out of there. I didn't.

I suppose somewhere in my mind I tried to make a positive out of this liquor store visit. I observed the other patrons. They didn't look good. Lots of red noses. Bad skin. Unhealthy. I am not trying to be unkind, I'm no Tom Cruise myself. But it was obvious that alcohol had taken a big toll.

I said to myself, "Remember this image and use it." If I don't quit that will be me in a few years.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is certainly a reminder of what may come, but I've found that comparing one's state of decline to others a very ineffective tool for staying sober. There will always be someone worse off than you at the present time. "At least I don't have a red nose" can turn into "At least I don't have liver failure" or "At least I'm not dead" pretty quickly. The only guarantee with alcoholism is that it will get worse, the only question is how bad and how quickly it happens.

I hope you can figure out a way to stay out of liquor stores and get started on getting sober if that is your intent, we are here to help when you are ready.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I notice the red noses and such as well. Especially because i work in a restaurant and recognize when I am serving alcohol to heavy drinkers/active alcoholics. The signs are obvious in many cases - then again, the pretty woman with nice clothes and perfect skin might be a raging alcoholic too. I know that's what I looked like to the world for a long time. That said, my skin and everything else about my visage look a whole lot better now!!

I kinda just do a mental check off of these folks and move on. Dwelling could turn dangerous, I guess, but I see these folks in the world as sad and also .... not my business. Maybe they're just ugly
Old 08-23-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

gin blossoms.
Thank God I didn't ruin my skin and body with alcohol.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am naturally pale, and I would wake up with a red puffy face when I was drinking. Since sobriety I am usin a lot less concealer in the mornings!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My face was really getting to be red and greasy when I was still drinking. I looked awful. It took a bit, but it's clearing/cleared up and I'm grateful it wasn't permanent!
Old 08-24-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had psoriasis when I drank, and I was only 31 years old.

I haven't had it since I got sober.

My former drinking buddy has a red nose which makes him look like a street person.

When I got sober, I though that he would get sober in 6 or 8 months.

But, I have been saving a seat for him for almost 28 years now, and it has been sad to watch him decline.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't mean to be shallow but what I saw in the mirror was one of the reasons I decided to quit. I was bloated and my skin was always dry. It was not pretty. I look much better nowadays.

D.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I had psoriasis when I drank, and I was only 31 years old.

I haven't had it since I got sober.

My former drinking buddy has a red nose which makes him look like a street person.

When I got sober, I though that he would get sober in 6 or 8 months.

But, I have been saving a seat for him for almost 28 years now, and it has been sad to watch him decline.
Yes, my best friend from college now has those red veins on his nose that are basically a sign to the world that says I am an alcoholic. Must be pretty depressing for him.