Notices

Steve's Sobriety Thread!

Old 08-14-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Steve's Sobriety Thread!

**This is a condensed version. Don’t want to bore anyone.

My story is just like most that post here for the first time. We’ve most likely tried multiple times to sober up. Sometimes something happened that brought us to our senses. Sometimes we simply hit rock bottom and were just “sick and tired of being sicks and tired!”

My first serious attempt to sober up happened a year ago this week. I had some close calls but by God’s grace I never hurt anyone. I was consuming a tremendous amount of whiskey, day after day. I couldn’t tell you the last time I remembered falling asleep the night before, or when I woke up without a handover.

One Monday, after a heavy drinking weekend, I’d had enough and quit cold turkey. Three days of intense pain. Didn’t sleep the first 5 days. But I survived. I was so proud of myself. The “pink cloud” was overhead. That lasted three weeks. “I got this licked… I can control this!” It was back to the bourbon.

Over the next 11 months I experienced the same scenario: Drink all week after work, black out. Wake up with a hangover. Weekends I’d start the day with bourbon in my coffee, then drinking whiskey straight up by 9am. By 2pm Saturday I was black out if not passed out. This was repeated Sundays, even attending church services Sunday morning… after drinking my coffee with bourbon in it! I could make bottles disappear like magic…

In the last 12 months I attempted to sober up at least 9 times that I recorded. Each time it was like a broken record: Wake up Monday feeling like total death, dump what remained of the whiskey and went through my own version of detox. First three days were horrible… wouldn’t sleep for a week. I’d stay sober anywhere from two days to up to four weeks (my record to date).

This past Friday, August 12th was my first day sober. I tried something different. I spent the week prior tapering, allowing my body to detox slowly. No intense kidney pains, no insomnia (so far!!). Is this all kittens & rainbows? No. And I’m not expecting it to be. But I had to experiment with something because cold turkey wasn’t cutting it. How do I feel? Very tired and irritable. And sweaty. I smell like a wet dog & rotten eggs put together.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

You had one day then used or drank?
Old 08-14-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
You had one day then used or drank?

What do you mean?
Old 08-14-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm just confused by your post. You aren't feeling well now, is it from being newly sober or something else?
Old 08-14-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I'm just confused by your post. You aren't feeling well now, is it from being newly sober or something else?
Won't let me edit it... waited too long, so here is a clarification for the last confusing paragraph:

This past Friday, August 12th was my first day sober and with God's mercy & power, sober for good!

I tried something different. I spent the week prior tapering, allowing my body to detox slowly. No intense kidney pains, no insomnia (so far!!). Is this gonna be all kittens & rainbows? No. And I’m not expecting it to be. But I had to experiment with something because cold turkey wasn’t cutting it.

After wrapping up day 3, physically I feel good, I slept fine last night... but I am very sweaty. I smell like a wet dog & rotten eggs put together. (we are experiencing 100*+ heat indexes this weekend). Emotionally, I'm a bit irritable, perhaps a little anxious, which is to be expected.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was an anxious jittery mess the first couple of weeks after I quit. I don't think I smelled bad but who knows? Maybe people were being nice and didn't mention it. In any case, congrats on getting through the first few rough days, and keep it going!!

Delfin
Old 08-15-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep it going Steve

D
Old 08-15-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, Stevie?

Where is Kville?

I'm in Knoxville, Tn.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post! I can really identify with the whiskey in the coffee and other parts of your story. wishing you the best! Keep up the good work!!
Old 08-16-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Days 4 & 5. The sweating subsided a great deal. Sleeping pretty good but not entirely normal. Today I didn't have that washed out feeling by mid-morning like I did on the second and third day. I'm trying to cut back on the coffee some, just because. Trying to eat a better diet as I don't have near the cravings for junk food... as much!

Not out of the woods yet, I know better.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your progress Steve, glad you are seeing some improvements all around. I ended up having to cut way back on caffeine too, for some reason it affects me much more now than before.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Glad you're here, Stevie?

Where is Kville?

I'm in Knoxville, Tn.
Nope, some little po'dunk village in rural Pa. No longer live there, but still miss the place.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on your progress Steve, glad you are seeing some improvements all around. I ended up having to cut way back on caffeine too, for some reason it affects me much more now than before.
Not sure what's up exactly. I quit for a few months last year just to prove I could. But life wasn't the same! Now that I am sober, I am tempted to see what may happen.

I'd be okay until fall came and I'd want something warm to drink right off the bat in the morning.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
Not sure what's up exactly. I quit for a few months last year just to prove I could. But life wasn't the same! Now that I am sober, I am tempted to see what may happen.

I'd be okay until fall came and I'd want something warm to drink right off the bat in the morning.
There's actually some good tasting decaf's out there now, and there's a lot of low caff/decaf tea that tastes pretty good too.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 6 almost in the books. My sleep pattern is definitely changing!! Feel asleep on the couch at 7:30pm last night. Have not done that in years! Time to get the bike out to start commuting again. Lots of positive thoughts, not anxious and worried all the time but still have the usual stresses in life (money, raising teenagers, etc).

Looking forward to getting back into cycling again after taking the summer off. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tomorrow will be a week sober! This is where things got dicey before. Just gotta keep busy.... plan to clean the basement out, list some junk on eBay and relax with the family. I'm keeping the decaf stocked up and the seltzer water cold!!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job Steve
Old 08-19-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One week down. Sleeping has stabilized. My eating habits need a little work. Too much processed food.

Trying to stay positive, though!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One week is fantastic! Keep it up!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nice job on your week!! Kudos to you!! Keep up the good work!!