Notices

Sober Greetings from Helsinki!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Greetings from Helsinki!

Hello everyone,

I've made it to my first stop on my trip to London. I figured I should post while I have a little free time. Who knew an airplane would almost be my undoing in my sobriety? Naturally, I've been realllllly stressed out for this trip. Excited, but full of anxiety, because it's a little scary. It's my first time in a country that isn't primarily English speaking. (For the record, security is sooooo much nicer in Finland than it was in Chicago...)

Anyway, getting sidetracked. I had to caffeinate A LOT because I haven't slept in 25 hours and I'm afraid to fall asleep while waiting for my next flight. And sidetracked again. So, on the airplane, they actually offered complimentary beer and wine with dinner. Oh how badly I wanted to sip on a glass of some beautiful (free!) red wine and feel that warm fuzzy feeling in my stomach. And for free. I think the airlines are plotting against us alcoholics, haha. I managed to say no, but I'm grateful I had a window seat or I may have had second thoughts and chased the flight attendant down.

I've calmed down a lot now, with a few hours to wait until I board my next plane. I found a way outside (what a struggle...) and chain-smoked for about an hour, so that helped.

It's been so deeply instilled in me to never turn down a free drink, maybe that's all that was... but, it's a good reminder that it won't always be easy, and I need to keep on top of my recovery. Thanks everyone for all the support and being here for me to blabber on to. I also apologize for not being very responsive to anyone else's posts, lately. I've been pretty distracted and probably a little self-centered.

Have a great sober day! I'm sure I will be posting about further temptation soon, but hopefully from England next time!
Old 08-05-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Airports are a trigger for many. Well handled though. This struggle of ours will never end but we all know it is so worth it. Enjoy London.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have faith you'll be ok sdi - keep doing what you're doing

D
Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

New experiences can seem daunting but quitting alcohol gave me some of my confidence back regarding almost everything.

Best wishes to you. I'm sure you'll do fine.