Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Please please see a doctor if you are withdrawing

Notices

Old 08-02-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've read many of these messages about despair in relapse. I had a streak of about 9 months sober under my belt and just let my guard down. I took my sobriety for granted. I told myself "man you can control it, its fine to have a couple." Well it was fine for the first two days or so then started to slide into... "well i've had three drinks, i'm close to being buzzed, what is the harm in another one.... or two... or five... or 15". For me it cycled that way. I started small on a camping trip i went on, had just a taste and then a week later i'm on a binge alcohol fest. I had gone to the ER last year before my 9 months because its so hard to get a doctor to see you on short notice when they aren't your primary care. This time i binged for about 4-5 days before trying to ween off but again being scared of possible seizure. I thought about it awhile feeling sleep deprived, weak, and shaky. I decided to go to the ER again. The temptation is "power through" the withdrawals and avoid the possible embarrassment of telling people you failed again, which the ER visit tends to bring. Your life isn't worth risking on withdrawals, the relief of being in a supervised environment is such a great feeling. Plus, these doctors have more than likely seen much worse cases than you. My goal in writing this is in hopes that people struggling with withdrawals right now, unable to sleep more than a few minutes at a time due to fear of seizures, take the courageous step and get medical help, even if its the ER. Pride and embarrassment are not good reasons one should lose their life.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Absolutely agree. Withdrawal kills a lot of alcoholics. I have withdrawn with out medical supervision or more specifically by the time I got to the hospital the worst was over but I easily could have died. Trust me even if you live you don't want to go through it. I actually though I was dying and to a large degree I was. Folks, this is something you don't want to screw around with
Old 08-02-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Many communities offer free or low-cost detox services. A good place to find out is a call to your local hospital!
Old 08-02-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would say it too but knowing how stubborn and stupid I am I likely wouldn't do it.
I loved detox tho. It was a good experience. Going back is hard. To either place.
Better to see us trying over than dead tho.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some people have no choice but to do this.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quitting cold turkey without help is dangerous. I am living through hell right now because my husband attempted to do this. In April he decided to stop. 2 weeks later he had fatigue and loss of apetite which we attributed to the quitting another 2 weeks and he's hospitalized with severe pancreatitis. fast forward another month and he has a hole in his pancreas which leaks fluid into his gut and a clot in the vein to the liver. His pancreas obstructed to the point of basically bursting. It could've all been avoided if he'd have seen a doctor prior to quitting so they could monitor the enzymes... If you MUST quit cold turkey at least go get some labs drawn.. you don't have to say you're an alcoholic. Just tell them you're concerned because you have a family history of liver problems... a little white lie is better than dying IMO.