Notices

Withdrawal

Old 07-28-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal

Hey all,

I'm new here so forgive me if this seems a bit rambled.

It's been one week today since I've had a drink. I stopped cold turkey after another embarrassing episode that I won't go in to detail about. I realised enough was enough and it was time to stop.

Everything was fine for the most part apart for a bit of a headache until Monday when I started to feel really ill in the stomach. Cramping, bloating, aching that's radiating into my back. So came the sweats, hot and cold flushes, agistation and shortness of breath.

I figured it would go away but it's been 3/4 days now and they haven't subsided. I call the alcohol info line and she informed me that I shouldn't have quit cold turkey without medication and wants me to go to the ED asap to get checked out.

I feel ridiculous going to the hospital with an upset stomach but I'm also paranoid now that something horrible is going to happen to me, a seizure maybe?

I don't know what to do.. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Cold turkey can be dangerous - your symptoms may be related to alcohol withdrawal and maybe not - it's impossible to determine over the phone or internet I'm afraid.
Congratulations on posting here and deciding to stop drinking - you will feel better in time but it is vital that you get checked over by a qualified doctor in person.
Abdominal pain radiating into your back could be something simple or something more sinister - and shortness of breath needs investigating too.

You've made the fantastic step of taking control of your health and doctor should see that and be nothing but supportive.

Come back and let us know how you get on - All the best and well done on a week sober already!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely get it checked out. I had abdominal pain radiating into my back and it turned out to be pancreatitis which is serious if left unchecked. Always best to be safe than sorry.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem Kam

I don't think it does any harm at all to get checked out - I hope you will...at least that way you'll have peace of mind

let us know how you get on
D
Old 07-28-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

I was at emergency until 4 am and all I ended up with was panadol that had no effect & a drug and alcohol pamphlet ha!

5 hours of sleep I'll never get back..
Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

But at least you know it's nothing serious now?

D
Old 07-29-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That can be the last time you go through it if you choose
Old 07-30-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Kam89

Glad you went. You were lucky. I had a seizure in the ER: got there without a minute to spare. Nor was I the typical "candidate" for one. I saw bright flashing lights (Halos) that morning. This is common but not strictly a rule. They can happen in your sleep. Quit while the quitt'ins good, yeah?