Notices

Any good luck stories?

Old 07-28-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Any good luck stories?

Maybe some tales of unexpected fortune will help lift some spirits. I know I like to hear of them. I'm feeling sad and unrewarded in sobriety. I don't believe in the "universe" doing things for people but I do believe in random... everything. So if you have a random good thing to share that was of good luck to you I am all ears. Because even if it is just a dream I do like to think that sometimes a good thing just happens unexpectedly.

I have only one random thing that's not life changing, but then maybe it is. Many years ago I was walking home along a very busy main street. I crossed the road and a moment later, a car drove up onto the sidewalk where I had just been, for about a 3rd of a block, then back onto the road again. Nothing happened, no police, not a thing after this happened. Just me watching and wondering if anyone else even saw. And surely I would have been creamed if I hadn't just crossed the road.

Strange and somewhat eerie. I think it was lucky to have crossed...?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a beautiful place in the UK where yiu can walk from Lynton to Lynmouth along a river. It's somewhere we've been a number of times, and my partner gets moody because I always want to stop and take the same old photos every time we go. Anyway, I'd promised this time to not spoil the walk with photos, but then a beautiful bird came and was perched right near us, so I went back on my promise. My partner couldn't get past me as the past was so narrow, and I just ignored his whingeing. As I was taking the photo there was a huge thud, and the the path kind of shook a little. My partners face was a picture and when I turned to look behind me there had been a landslide and loads of boulders and rocks had fallen right where we'd have been walking if I hadn't stopped for the bird photo. PHEW!!!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

!!! Really Berrybean?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah. I was very grateful that day, and walked the rest of the way back really nervous about any unexpected movements. Lol.

A lot of people perished in the floods brought to Lynmouth by that river in 1952, and you can still see some remains of some the old building foundations along there, so it's always a place that kind of 'right sizes' me, and brings me an awareness of life's transience, so it kind of hit me that morning. Although I can think of worse places and ways to die to be fair.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 16 | 1952: Flood devastates Devon village
Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

https://youtu.be/m1xiad4Ppe0
Old 07-28-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just thought of this one.

I started working at Chick-Fil-A - a fast food company based in Atlanta- in April when I was five weeks sober. At $9/hr, the job was not a financial boon but a) I was working, b) it is God-focused, positive, safe, encouraging company to work for and it was EXACTLY what I needed, and c) I felt productive and useful.

I had left a restaurant job early in the year (before I got sober) but kept in touch with one of the managers from there, who is a good friend, and he knew about my recovery. One day, he happened to be the one who ordered CFA for lunch for the restaurant staff. I saw this when I got the check, when the girl who was sent picked up lunch. I just happened to be the person at the counter. He had included a $25 tip for the person who put the order together - me. Obviously that was a financial surprise and I was so pleased; I thanked him and he was pleased because I'd been the one he helped.

Fast forward to yesterday, and having gotten healthy enough to ask for a job back at the restaurant, I had my first shift. And he comes to see me - so proud of me, my recovery, and to be able to show up for me as a friend.

I think my whole job process is a God thing, for sure.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

when i worked in the gas stations once my boss asked me to go sweep the leaves off the lot. I thought a few things 1) why dont they buy a dang leaf blower this is a huge lot and a broom is rediculously inefficent and slow, 2) the wind is just gonna blow the leaves BACK on the lot. 3) this is friggen stupid waste of time but whatever they pay me hourly.

So i went and swept the *(@(*!@#)! leaves and by one of the gas pumps i found a 100 dollar bill I hung on to it for a few days in case the owner came looking for it after that i was like welp this is mine!

I never complained about sweeping the leaves after that lol. Course I never found 100 dollar bill again either.

Another time a lady came in the station flat tire. I plugged her tire up and sent her on her way. My boss hated that id' do this but its like wtf I cant just let people be stranded when I can so easily fix there tire etc.. So i fixed her tire a week later some guy comes in the station Asks if i had worked that last friday night he seemed angry or somethign So i apprehensively said well yes (wonder great i'm gonna get punched for something who knows) he stated that lady was his wife and he was so appreciative that i fixed her tire etc.. and handed me 100 bucks. I tried to refuse but he insisted was like welp ok then.

I could go on but yeah I guess good things do randomly happen.

I need a good job to randomly drop out of the sky today tho lol my jobs driven me nuts!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I believe in Karma . Good things happen to good people. We are all good people regardless of what we did while drinking. We are here now trying to better ourselves and we cant do much better than that!!!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
under new management

Not exactly a good luck story but it felt pretty good to me...

We live in the core of the downtown area. We see lots of urban wildlife, squirrels and pigeons and such, but several years ago we were visited by a little brown hummingbird!

Around that time, I was severely depressed and sitting on the balcony with my H, drinking and crying (what a mess, lol!) and I said to my H, "I wish that little Hummingbird would come back." And, lo and behold, that little brown hummy swooped onto the balcony, hung out for a moment, and off it went, never to be seen by us again.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rose, I love wildlife stories!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

This was one of the things that came to mind when I was newly sober and trying to get to grips with this higher power business.

The very fact I was still alive was compelling. 7 out of 10 in my recovery group were already dead. I did so many crazy things. Wandering about on the edge of a tall building so drunk that my eyes couldn't focus on the road below - if they had focussed I would have seen all the police looking for me, habitually running red lights on my motorbike drunk, spinning out on ice above a gorge, running off the road and spinning through a stand of trees without hitting any, going over the handlebars of my motor bike and flying straight between two trees for a soft landing.

There were so many of these occasions that I considered it to be a little beyond luck. If any one possesed that much luck, they would win the lottery everytime they bought a ticket.

Today, many people think I am lucky to be able to sail the world in my yacht. Luck had nothing to do with it. Years of hard work, and before that, recovery from alcoholism are why I can do this.

My life has been much better than I ever could have imagined, but I don't see luck as being responsible for that, nor my own power. I don't believe it was luck that I survived.

Having said all that, I once bought a lottery ticket, and won $90.00. I never bought another one.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

One of my aunt's wins things all the time Inc a car, a trip to NY plus a helicopter tour not to mention nearly every electrical gadget ?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One day I was feeling really crappy because I was hung over and because my child was really unhappy about my drinking though she didn't say it.So I googled alcoholism and found a website called SR and read a lot of great stuff written by really great people who understood my problem. Fast forward 3 years and I have a pretty happy sober life and know a really great lady named Sleepy who doesn't mind my bellyaching about my belly problems. That day about 3 years ago was the luckiest day of my life.

True story!

D.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LOL Delf glad you are here and sober with us!
Old 07-30-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

In June of 1972, our family was on a car trip out to the Black Hills in South Dakota. My parents wanted to stay longer, but my older twin brothers kept bugging them about getting back to Minnesota for their little league baseball game. My Dad finally gave in and we headed back just before one of the worst floods in US history. We later learned that the campground we were staying at was totally destroyed and that many died as a result. Not saying we would've been killed, but thanks to my brothers, we made it home safely.

You can read about the flood here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Black_Hills_flood
Old 07-30-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe some tales of unexpected fortune will help lift some spirits.
You mean winning the lottery? Recovery is what you make it. What I know it's very hard work, both in terms of staying sober and changing your life. Sit back and do nothing, no change. For me it was lots of meetings, doing the steps, taking advice from a sponsor and doing stuff I didn't want to do, like calling other AA's and talking to newcomers. That's why I'm sober 24 years. And during that time I've written two books and visited every continent, including Antarctica. I have the life I've always wanted.