Notices

A few reminders to myself about alcoholism...

Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A few reminders to myself about alcoholism...

When, on a recording of Clancy Imislund addressing the South Pacific Group of AA, I heard him say that his sponsor had said to him,

'If your problem is alcoholism, then your problem isn't alcohol'

I immediately gained a whole new perspective on the true nature of my disease/illness in which I came to understand that alcoholism, is the only illness that'll kill you whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it!

The only respite from which is abstinence from alcohol ...

A thought, with now well over eight years of sobriety I carry around with me everyday.

I also like to remind myself that for whatever is said, good, bad or indifferent about the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, it acts as a support organisation for 'problem drinkers' - Joe McQuany

And the real key to recovery lies in the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' in which, in my case was helped by listening to as recording of one of 'Charlie & Joe's: Big Book Study Meetings', now available online together with a written transcript...
Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks! I love Clancy and was able to see him in Boston this past spring. For the longest time I thought that if I put down the drink I would be fine - everything would fall into place. I was shocked to find out that alcohol was not the problem - I AM the problem. I still get mad about that. Acceptance. I strive for it every day.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Taylor

This makes a lot of sense to me.
1 week sober and really alcohol honestly isn't my biggest problem and so far I really don't miss it.
But one of these days I am going to...