Notices

Itchiness in detox

Old 07-22-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Itchiness in detox

Hello, all! This is my first post here. I was led to the site after googling my symptoms and finding a TON of people on here asking for help with the same problem.

I relapsed in my recovery and binged for....I think about 2 weeks. I am on day two now (again) , and have developed a detox symptom I had NEVER had before, not sure what medically/phsyiologically brought me to this point of new symptoms, but I thought I'd provide whatever help I could.

Itchiness. All over, non stop, like bugs on my skin tickling me. Couldn't sleep, couldn't sit still, couldn't relax, couldn't get any peace. Nothing helped, sitting there crying in frustration and discomfort and mood swings, and anger, and already craving so bad that the physical discomfort of being constantly itchy just increased those cravings, drastically. I literally have been scratching my skin raw. Tried whatever safe, doctor prescribed methods I could (benadryl, prescribed non narcotic anxiety relief pills [hydroxizine], lotion, calamine lotion, warm oatmeal bath, cortizone cream, etc). Finally out of desperation I had an idea, AND IT WORKED. Just thought I'd share it in case anyone out there is going through this, and if there's even a chance it could help anyone find some peace in these early days (because geez, it is no fun, to put it mildly), I'd like to try and help.

I filled my bathtub up with cold water, as cold as I could stand. I laid in it to soak for awhile, then I lathered my whole body in dandruff shampoo, just generic dandruff shampoo. Then I waited as long as I could stand it. Got out, and the itchies WERE GONE. I literally cried from relief.

I hope to be an active member in this forum from here on out. Lord knows I will need some support. But I hope this helps someone!
Old 07-22-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome (back) chemem

Itchiness can be caused by a lot of things - but glad you got some relief.

I'm going to be Captain Obvious here though - if it is alcohol related, the best thing to do is...not drink...and see your Dr to make sure there's no more serious stuff going on.

D
Old 07-22-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you got some relief, that doesn't sound like fun at all!! Maybe you're able to be some good rest now!!
Old 07-22-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, guys, and thanks. Yeah I definitely called my doctor and got an appointment set up for next week. Last time i binged I did some really serious damage to my stomach lining, I need to get completely checked out to make sure I'm ok. It's such a shameful process, having to tell your doctor who knows you're a recovering alcoholic that you drank again. But I know it's important I go.

I have never ever had a symptom like this before, and it just seemed too coincidental that it started one day after I stopped drinking. But you make a good point, who knows? I wonder if my central nervous system is just out of whack from the dopamine withdrawal.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Chemem
Old 07-23-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How are you today chemem?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was VERY itchy after coming home from the hospital. It would keep me up at night and was so damn annoying. It lasted about 2 weeks.

I'm sure yours will subside as well. Just stay strong!!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Elle,

How's your recovery going?? Hope all is well in your world!!