Notices

Drank Wine During Pregnancy Please Help

Old 06-02-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drank Wine During Pregnancy Please Help

Hello All

Im writing this with great shame guilt and regret. I drank on 6 different occasions during my 40 week pregnancy. Each time on each occasion I drank 4-5 glasses of white wine. I was a really bad alcoholic before I got pregnant but I thought I would be able to stop completely for the whole pregnancy but I failed and slipped up. She was born 9 weeks ago and does not have any health issues or developmental issues and no physical symptoms of FAS but im very worried about mental and neurological issues in the future. I cry about this almost everyday and the worry and guilt affects me being able to bond with her and I often regret going through with the pregnancy. Anyone out there with a similar story. How are your children. I just need some uplifting. Thank You
Old 06-02-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR jerseygirl. I think the best thing you can do is share this with your doctor so they can give you insight into what to potentially look for down the road, that's fantastic that she is a healthy 9 week old, congratulations!
Old 06-02-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR jerseygirl.
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

It sounds as if you have some post=natal depression.Get an appointment with your Doctor and explain how you are feeling.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Jersey
Okay don't freak. Sounds like you have a beautiful healthy baby. At your next checkup, or before if that's too far out, tell your pediatrician everything. How much you drank and at what stage in the pregnancy you drank.

Bottom line is, you had the baby (which is awesome) she needs you, you need her. Being a mom is the best experience ever....I'm sitting here with my 15 yr old girl now. I understand you're scared but try not to worry about something that doesn't appear to be happening.

Are you sober now?
Old 06-02-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Best to talk to your doctor. But there are many of us who come from an era where the issues of drinking while pregnant weren't known or certainly weren't paid much attention to. And, arguably, we turned out ok. So don't get too overcome with anxiety.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't want to downplay your situation, but drinking a handful of times during your pregnancy is unlikely to cause harm.

However, talking with your doctor should help set your mind at ease.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not a doctor but it sounds like you are showing symptoms of postpartum depression. You have a healthy baby, and you are obsessing and panicking about something totally beyond your control. That is a very common symptom of PPD. So, please talk to your doctor about that. You don't have to cop to the drinking if you don't want to. You need to get yourself healthy mentally so you can be a mom to your child.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Jerseygirl.

I was pregnant for 2 mos. before I knew I was. I continued drinking as heavily as I had been. My son (now in his 30's) suffers from depression, but that's it - no physical issues from the alcohol, according to the doctors. I was so worried about FAS too - but apparently no harm was done.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Maybe you'll stick around - it's good to meet you.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jerseygirl, it sounds like things are going well for your baby and am glad to hear that. As always, a talk with your doctor is the right way to go.

---

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
I don't want to downplay your situation, but drinking a handful of times during your pregnancy is unlikely to cause harm.
While I understand you wanted to respond with compassion, I think we need to be careful about speculating how much is likely or unlikely to cause harm. I also think personal anecdotes, while well-intended, might give the wrong message.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, American Academy of Pediatrics are others are unequivocal in their position.

National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome ? Light Drinking During Pregnancy
Old 06-02-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

Don't discount post partum depression as a possibility as to why you feel how you feel.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

For what it's worth my mother went into early labor Doctor sent her home told her to get drunk to stop it etc.. It worked too those where different times I guess
Old 06-02-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember that advice being given, zjw.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really important that you talk to your dr about your concerns. This is the information from the Womens Forum on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-syndrome.html
Old 06-03-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

not to stir the pot here but If it where me I'd be afraid to talk to my doctor. I might mention that i had a few IE sugar coat it and talk to the pediatrician. I dunno I'd be scared to bring it up that I might get into trouble in todays day and age. I have no idea how this sort of situation is handled however so excuse my ignorance.

I dont want to speak for jerseygirl but what if or should someone be scared to bring this up to there doctor? Is there a safer more anonymous way to get help?
Old 06-03-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

also for what its wroth and i'm not advocating this at all but I know some women who smoked cigarettes, dope and drank and had happy healthy babies.

I've even heard way back doctors would tell women to smoke to keep the birth weight down so they woudlnt have big babies ::facepalm::.

Point is go easy on yourself there are a lot worse things one could be doing and its probably fine. My other point is doctors havent always been right lol.

go easy on yousefl jerseygirl.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome. I have a close friend who drank throughout her pregnancy and her baby has no effects. Praying that is the case for your baby as well. But, to soothe your nerves, and know for sure, why not get the baby checked out?
Old 06-03-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I dont want to speak for jerseygirl but what if or should someone be scared to bring this up to there doctor? Is there a safer more anonymous way to get help?
Medical advice should only be obtained from a medical doctor. That's why we have the rule about it here on SR. Yes, it can be scary to share things with your doctor, but using the internet or second hand knowlege is no substitute, no matter where said advice comes from. That's also why conversations between patients and doctors are private and protected by law as such.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

i agree scott but perhaps there is some hotline or something is what i'm getting at.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think an anonymous hotline would do with a child who might have FAS. The child needs to be monitored and treated safely and properly by a dr. FAS is a lifelong issue and the earlier diagnosis and treatment begins, the better. This is not about the mother, but about the child.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My experience.. Only mine. Was I was a bad alcoholic but never drank a lick during pregnancy. My daughter has autism. So don't blame yourself. Sometimes things just happen. Btw I planned to get pregnant, so no alcohol.