Notices

Stuck

Old 05-05-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stuck

I dont know that anyone will respond to this but i think it will help me to get it out. I have a little over four months sober, all the reasons/things/situations i drank to forget are coming back to me. I have anxiety attacks over feeling stuck in my life. I have scheduled a therapy appointment in about a week, i need help sorting my life out, figuring out how to fix all of these things that i feel i have no control over in life....im miserable.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Make a new list of all reasons/things/situations that get better with sobriety. One that comes to mind is that you will be better able to deal with the anxiety and negative stuff. 4 months is early still. Are you getting some good sleep yet?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back and thanks for sharing Buttonpusher. Most of us have/had underlying issues to our drinking, I deal with anxiety myself. It's important to recognize that these problems are distinct and separate from our addiction and need to be treated separately. Seeing a therapist to deal with it sounds like a great plan, and I can guarantee you that it will a LOT easier to figure out the problem and find a solution sober rather than drinking.

Anxiety and control are closely related. And part of the problem I have is that i try to control things that I cannot, which leads to more anxiety..it's a viscious cycle.

I wish you the best of luck with your appointment, until then you could always try to do some reading on mindfulness and meditation - those are some tools I use to help calm me and also focus on the present - vs trying to focus on things I cannot control like the future and the past.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back ButtonPusher, I think it's so important to find the underlying issues that exist and to find a way to deal with those. Seeing a therapist is a great idea.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi ButtonPusher. I can relate to what you said about feeling out of control. Something that gave me a lot of comfort was the realization that I HAD QUIT DRINKING!!!! I DID IT!!! WOW!

It started to become clear that if I could do that, I could do all sorts of things. I resumed some old hobbies, picked up a new one or two, made some new friends. Those old feelings of shame and guilt were slowly replaced with a new feeling of self respect and achievement.

You have done a great thing, and it says so much about what you are able to achieve. Be gentle with yourself, and try to say yes to new experiences as they present themselves to you. You might be surprised at what the new you can do! Onward!