Notices

My Story - 261179

Old 04-04-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story - 261179

My story will not be any different from friends here, but just wanted to share, I have been drinking heavily for 5 years, mostly during nights, initially it started with small amounts and now, I cannot stop until I pass out,

After completing my Engineering degree I moved to Japan during the stay there work pressure and isolation took its toll on me and I started to drink regularly (before that it was only occasional), I got married during my stay there (my wife is not Japanese) my wife joined me but we couldn’t get along quite well and she moved back to her parents’ home, I was devastated so there started my professional highs and personal lows, my wife was coming and going in between to stay with me for short durations, finally after another 2 years of struggle I moved to Middle east (as I am into Oil and Gas), we had a son and I thought I will be out of this vicious circle once we all are together again, but to my utter disappointment I still continued to drink sometimes heavily sometimes light, in between had short stints of sobriety ( some lasting up to 3 months) but each time I restart I drink more than previous times.
As my kid is 4 now and I have realized that my drinking problem is affecting my family life, everything is perfect in life but I am scared that I am going to ruin everything because of Alcohol, I am trying my best to stay sober, I am reading a lot of success stories here which are really great boost for my low morale.

Thanks everyone for making this site informative and morale boosting
Old 04-04-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome 261179
Old 04-04-2016, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi 261179

I'm glad you are here. Reaching out to people who understand is a great first step. You're right that our use of alcohol can ruin everything. We are much better off without it.

My experience is that finding a way to break the cycle is a major help. Do you have ideas of what you might be able to do to accomplish that?

All the best to you. I hope you keep posting.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I discovered over many years that self will and self knowledge wasn't enough to keep me sober - but, I am a real alcoholic. Many are simply heavy drinkers and given the right motivation they may stop or curtail. I am grateful to understand this - it saved my life.

Those of us who are alcoholics can't simply put the the bottle down. Rehab, 12 step programs, therapy, SR et al are some of things that friends here engage with to quit drinking and stay stopped.

I see you posted under alcoholism - was this in the belief you are an alcoholic or just the starting place you selected? No matter, just wondering.

Some are not concerned about labels - ie alcoholic. For me it was imperative to understand that I am indeed an alcoholic and can never drink like a normal person. Without this understanding I tried to drink again over and over. I could stop drinking without truly understanding my condition for periods of time but always drank again until 22 months ago.

I don't typically write this much for newcomers other than hello and welcome. But something struck me in your thread - not certain what it was. Maybe it was that a geographic change didn't help and everything is good except this one problem.........That one problem turned into THE problem for me and no number of relocations changed anything. Over time, my drinking only got worse - for over 35 years..........

Keep coming back