Notices

Advice

Old 03-16-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice

Hey guys, I'm currently debating going to a long term care center. A little back history, battled bipolar, depression, anxiety and alcohol abuse for the last 8 years.
I was sober last year for 8 months, got married, took on stepchildren and became so stressed I turned to drinking here and there. The wife and I have split and I've turned to drinking. I'm a binger, not a everyday thing and withdrawal isn't an issue for me. I just got a job I love and I don't want to give it up.
Any advice on going to long term?
Nightly AA meetings instead and a therapist?
Just looking at all my options & wanted to ask you guys.

Thanks to all!
Old 03-16-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Any chance for an evening out-patient program when your not working? Or, how about therapy, SR, and AA. The more support you have, the better things will go for you. John
Old 03-16-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The more help, the better, I'd say.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Attending AA and being ready to take some action should help you a lot. Finding people to relate and be honest with makes all the difference. For a year I said AA didn't work for me and started looking into rehab centers. I then, honestly, gave AA a chance and started taking some simple direction and listening for a change. Then something shocking happened.... AA started to work all of a sudden! 3.5 years later and I truly have no desire to drink. It can happen for you also if you let it!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had to battle similar issues. It starts with removing the addiction, so do what you need to do to stay sober first. That took SR, therapy, and some AA support for me. That got me through the first year. I'm sure you can do this also Charles. I doubt you need rehab. But sobriety alone didn't solve my issues and I had to dig deeper.

My thinking, especially around women, and relationships, as well as my ways of coping with feelings and emotions were still causing problems.. and probably why I drank to begin with. Therapy and self education have really helped me, and more recently I have begun working the steps of AA again, to try to find a spiritual solution. Bit by bit, it does get better.

You too can do this Charles! A better life awaits.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rehab saved 2 members of my family's lives
Old 03-17-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you committed to sobriety or are you thinking that removing yourself from the situation will remedy whatever is in you that causes you to binge? Nothing is going to flip your own mental switch if you don't already have your finger on it.

I have no advice to offer as I have no experience, but ask yourself deeper questions before you take a plunge out of desperation or a desire to escape