Notices

Let People Support You

Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let People Support You

As I'm getting sober, I'm getting back to the gym and signed up for a half marathon. I took a day off from the gym on Wednesday. Then 2 days. Then 3 days. Earlier today, my dad excitedly tried to encourage me by telling me to set a goal of going to the gym 4 days in a row. I thought, "Ugh, stop trying to encourage me! I got this! I don't need anyone's help!" After thinking of ways to ask him to back off during my work out, I realized it was my addict voice trying to keep me isolated and without support. It wants me to struggle and go back to drinking.

I was reminded today to open up to people - family, friends, or aquaintences. It feels vulnerable. It feels uneasy. In the end, it's nice and safe to have people who love you and support you in your life - and to let them support you.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for recognising that voice - it loves to get us alone by isolating ourselves (and then has a good old laugh at us as it convinces us then that nobody cares about us and we start wallowing in loneliness-induced self-pity and resentment). AV's always play dirty, but you won that round
Old 03-05-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aurora,

What a great post.

I was just saying on another thread that for me its about being totally honest with myself, which is not easy for me.

Why? Because it makes me vulnerable, which makes me feel uneasy, scared.

Why? I think because I have always compared myself to an ideal, not to me.

I need to be the good me. But the good me is not perfect. And to be the good me, requires accepting that there is a bad me, and that is OK. We all got one.

But the good thing is that we are all going thru this process, something lots of people never do -- like me until I was in my 50s.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great post
Old 03-07-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

when it comes to the gym or a run or your job or staying sober etc.. Some times you just gotta show up. It doesnt always matter what kinda game you brought with you but showing up and being present is a good start from there if its great wonderful if its just mediocre who cares try again another day but just showing up to begin with helps.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ZJW,

Spot on.

I have trouble showing up in my life.

I think I overdid it when I was younger and don't have the energy.

But gonna try.

Starting NOW!!!