Notices

Tips for long-haul Plane Travel - 7 mths sober??

Old 02-19-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Tips for long-haul Plane Travel - 7 mths sober??

Hi Guys

I have to travel back to the UK from Oz in March.

I am apprehensive re the long plane journey (and the booze is free).

I have been going to AA every day since I have become sober and will have completed the steps by the time I go. I am in a pretty good head space re my recovery but don't want to take any chances.

So far, I plan to pray, read AA literature, listen to AA speaker tapes, read in general, watch films I have saved up on my tablet, doodle.

Any ideas or pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-19-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you have some very good ideas of your own already. Try and think of it as just another day, and you already have more than 200 sober ones under your belt. Alcholol is availabe anywhere, so being on a plane is no different than situations you are facing now, every day. Order a soft drink and keep snacks handy too.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You say the booze is free - presumably that means YOUR drinks (the alcohol free ones) will be free as well. Your plan sounds good - basically just don't take the first drink.

Where are you going to be based in the UK? Have you checked out your AA meetings for while you're there?
Old 02-20-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

When I go on a long flight or a holiday, with free flowing alcohol, it really helps me to remember:

I don't drink.

I just don't; no matter what.

I have been offered booze by people who know that I don't drink --
people who may not have been well meaning --
people who would offer more than once, knowing I am an alcoholic.

Then I have to, politely, remind them in no uncertain terms:

I don't drink.

Full stop. (Period.)

Just say, "No."

Or perhaps: "May I have a Diet Coke*, please?"

*Other soft drinks are available.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.

the booze may be free, but wont enter your body unless you allow it, and since you say you will have completed the steps by then, that would mean the 10th step promises have occured,which end with this:
That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

world travelled

I have travelled frequently around the US and over Europe many times. Sitting on an airplane is boring no matter the destination. Really boring. You don't mention flying with someone so that's good you don't have to possibly sit next to someone who drinks. Drinking wine or vodka & tonic can kill the quiet time on a flight but so do other things.

Lessons I learned from drinking on planes:
1. Sitting alone with booze and my thoughts isn't that fun especially if I start missing someone or something.
2. I'll be tired and have less energy when I get off the plane.
3. I'll get off the plane and waste extra time trying to figure out where to go because alcohol slowed down my brain. I clumsily take a taxi or greet people but will be unable to connect with them.
4. Flying at higher altitudes dehydrates you and double that for adding alcohol. Order water.
5. Stand up and stretch every 20 minutes.

I totally understand where you are coming from. If I could go back, I would tell myself- I suddenly act like a restless child on a plane. Just sit still for a little while. There's nothing fancy about "free" alcohol. It's really better to suffer the boredom and try to read, listen to music. You really will want to feel rested/prepared for what's next. The flight doesn't actually last forever.

Doodling, watching films is a great plan.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Take snacks. Don't let yourself get hungry. M&Ms always make me not want to drink. Take some healthy snacks too and drink LOTS of water.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

You sound set in my book & the advice in this thread is great
Old 02-20-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

You have a good plan already.

Probably the worst enemy for you will be boredom and lack of interaction, assuming you're not phobic about flying. So prepare for it. I do crossword puzzles as a distraction from alcohol-related thinking during travel. For interaction, I've been known to wander once or twice to the back of the plane and hang out with the steward/esses. (I hope) I don't annoy them -- I just ask them stupid stuff about what's their favorite layover and generally pass a little time, then return to my seat.

Have a great trip!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One thing you consider is constructing some sort of plan that you compose while on the flight. Pick to he subject ahead if time: a new building project at home, a new hobby to take up, something job related, ideas for life improvements,etc. With your mind occupied it will help fight the boredom, and the desire to drink as well.
On a long flight once my wife and I planned out a landscaping project- figured out expenses, sort of plants would be used, etc.
The other things you mentioned would be good too.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You don't drink, right? That's what i understood about you. You don't drink.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Since you don't drink...what's the issue, exactly?

(At least, that's how I handle it. I no longer need advice about avoiding alcohol because I no longer drink.)

And I'm not saying this is how it should work for YOU; it's just how it seems to be working for ME -- The less I think about booze and the less I talk about booze, the less hold it has on me. So, my advice is to crush this topic inside your head quickly and focus on your trip instead.

Just my two cents...
Old 02-20-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for all your suggestions and support.

I suppose I have general anxiety re going back to the UK full-stop...it is not just about the flight.

All my amends are there, I have family drama to deal with and so on.

However, I will be embarking on AA meetings as soon as I land in the UK. I just have to practice what I have been practicing in AA in the UK and remember to pack my Higher Power!!

Old 02-20-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maybe download some AA speaker recordings for your journey? Keep yourself in the zone. 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly! (I have a selection on a cheap little mp3 player).
Old 02-21-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I do the 16 hour trip (2 flights) from Manila to the US a couple of times a year and I just read my Kindle or watch movies.. Or snooze. It is a long, tiring trip so snack frequently and walk around the plane.

I started this ar 8 months sober. Never been a problem. Sorry, but I personally don't believe in a daily reprieve from alcohol. In my opinion that attitude keeps us hostage to our addiction. Rather, I have chosen to move on from alcohol.

I dont think about it anymore, much less daily. I do go to meetings at least twice a week, but it's for my head and sanity, to keep my ego in check. Not to make it through another day without drinking. You can do the same.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Sounds to me like you have the right motives. Brings to mind another promise of the Big Book."

Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to others, so never hesitate to go anywhere if you can be helpful. You should not hesitate to visit the most sordid spot on earth on such an errand. Keep on the firing line of life with these motives and God will keep you unharmed."

I travel a lot, it's not a problem.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Maybe download some AA speaker recordings for your journey? Keep yourself in the zone. 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly! (I have a selection on a cheap little mp3 player).
Hi Guys

In preparation for my trip, I want to download a heap of the AA speaker tapes. Does anyone know the easiest way to do this? They appear to be in different formats. I am not sure how to do this.

My fear is receding re my imminent trip as I prepare mentally and have things in place. I can do this and I will!!!
Old 03-14-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

might be able to use the youtube downloader and download there talks in mp3 format.

I hope it works out. I have a fear of flying I think if I had to fly at this point I'd have to be heavily sedated I feel like i'm being locked and sealed off in a pipe with no way out and then sent to 30000 feet just the thought causes me to panic etc.. among other fears. In the past I always just drank at the air ports and such when I had a lay over. Thats not an option anymore.

Sounds like you dont have any of these fears you should be good to go.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^