Notices

Changing career after getting sober.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing career after getting sober.

Hi everyone, i'm wondering if anyone has any experience of changing job/career after getting sober.

I've read elsewhere that making huge changes early on is a poor idea, and I'm having bouts of brain fog and other PAWS symptoms so won't be doing anything drastic, but i've been thinking about it for a couple of years and any general advice would be interesting and much appreciated!

Also apologies if this is in the wrong section.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd be interested to hear as well. As I've said elsewhere, I'm starting a new job soon. Bad timing I guess. I wouldn't worry about it, except I've never experienced this bad a withdrawal before, and I've never had such a foggy brain.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UhZoomZip View Post
I'd be interested to hear as well. As I've said elsewhere, I'm starting a new job soon. Bad timing I guess. I wouldn't worry about it, except I've never experienced this bad a withdrawal before, and I've never had such a foggy brain.
Hi Zip, looks like no one's around with experience of it but the brain fog is definitely messing with my head when it comes to this so glad not to feel alone! So disheartening to put tons of effort into learning about a new field etc and feel like some things just won't stick.

Oh well, hope you're having more luck than me today!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The brain fog is a pretty common occurence, it generally fades over time.

Regarding the job change that's probably something you can answer best for yourself. A lot of people say it's good to wait a year before making any changes in your life after quitting, but that's just a suggestion, not a rule.

If you had already been planning to make a move and have an opportunity to make a positive change I would at least explore it. You can always say no, right?

Also, you'll need to ask yourself if you are stable/ready to make the change. Getting a new job means a new boss, learning new skills, new co-workers, etc. It can be stressful but also good in that you meet new people.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Sure, When You're Ready, Why Not?

I'd say Sure, if you want a change, go for it once you're ready.

Common sense would dictate NOT to take on any major challenges while sobriety is still a daily struggle and you're not yet feeling sound in mind and body. "The party line" says to wait a year. I suggest waiting until you're ready, whether it's a couple months or five years. The calendar isn't what's important.

Once your sobriety plan is solid and working, and you're not obsessing about alcohol, and you're at low risk for relapse, and your head is clear and you feel focused and strong...it makes perfect sense to start creating the life you want for yourself!

Just don't rush it, obviously :-)
Old 02-03-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

i'd keep life as simple as possible in early sobriety. not that you'd make a bad choice but you dont wanna bite off more then you can chew either. staying sober is like 10 full time jobs in the begining its hard to fit much other stress in. I know we have no choice at times too but dont go asking for it.

But if you think you can handle it why not.

I'm curious what others say.

this whole idea of changing careers sobriety or not is something i'm trying to learn more about. its something i wanna do but its very difficult with wife and kids and bills etc..
Old 02-03-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Here's my 2 cents. Changing jobs, location,etc., is not going to get you sober. So if the only reason you want to change those is to get away from whatever is causing or triggering you to drink it isn't going to work. Getting sober is an inside job. Doesn't really matter where you work or where you live.

But, if the reason to change isn't tied to your sobriety and you can honestly separate those and it's something you've been looking at for awhile, I'd say go for it.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I thought that I might change jobs, as found mine incredibly stressful; frustrating; and downright impossible half the time.

By the time I'd been sober a year, I had realised that it wasn't actually The Job that was the problem. The problem had been me, and my attitude.

I stuck with my job, have progressed through the pay scale quicker than 'normal' (my boss put in a case for me to be put up an extra grade without me requesting it). I still can't do things perfectly (as I was stressing about not being able to do before) but I've accepted that - and that others can't either. Everyone is human, and I needed a good dose of tolerance and acceptance in order to even start being able to cope in my job.

Anyway - I was basically wanting to leave because I didn't feel like I could do it (but also didn't feel up to doing job applications and interviews at that point). Your reasons for changing career may well be completely different. Whatever the reasons, I'd aim to get comfortable sober (i.e. do some recovery work) before making moves to make changes if you can help it. Yes, these things are 'only suggestions' but those suggestions are based on the experiences of many people and I've found them to contain pretty sound advice.

What are you thinking of changing from and to?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buzzkillington View Post
I've read elsewhere that making huge changes early on is a poor idea,
What you read has been around for years and is proven to be a pretty good plan. Your full attention should be on "not drinking" which means going to a lot of meetings, getting a sponsor and working the steps. The less confusion and stress in your life, the better and there'll be enough of that stuff without creating more yourself.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Brain fog will gradually improve over time with continued sobriety.
I'm sharper now than ever, but really rough at first.
I bought a planner and wrote down everything I had to remember
as soon as it came up and that helped me not mess up at work.

As to a job change, why not, but don't hurry.
Start organizing and working towards it step-by-step
and when you're ready to take the leap, your brain fog
will likely be much better.

By the way buzz, some of us are early to bed early to rise so don't
get discouraged if you don't get a lot of responses immediately when posting
in the evening--we'll get there the next day
Old 02-05-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I made a huge change, early.

On Feb 7 (Sunday) I will have 6 months sober, and I am almost finished with the steps. I've been in AA for around 8 months, this is my first/only try.

Around 2.5 months into sobriety I realized that I hated my job. I was in middle management on the fast path. Most considered me to be a "made man" who was "on a path" straight to the V or C-Suite, etc. It was constant stress and I was really unhappy.

It was the lifting of the fog, work on myself, etc. that helped me realize how much damage my job was doing to me, how much stress I was under and how unhappy I was.

Around 4 months into sobriety my bosses came to me to do some re-org'ing and they wanted to promote me again, and move me up again, running a big part of our business. I saw the opportunity to change career directions back into the type of work I loved and I made it happen. (Much to their disappointment I might add)

From day 1 of the change, I was instantly happier and people around me (some know I am in program, some do not) began to comment on changes in me. That I'd gotten my energy back and I was back to being "CJ." My sponsor and grand sponsor, even my mother has commented.

I'm under very little stress and really happy. I have my "dream job" if you will. I tear myself away from work at the end of the day and don't look forward to Fridays the way I used to. (Or Mondays with dread!).
Making the jump was risky, but in getting sober I've learned to be far more honest with myself, and everyone around me. The difficult conversations and risk have tended to have the biggest payoffs.

I don't buy the don't make changes for the first year thing, I DO buy being very careful, though. I prayed and meditated on this, consulted with trusted advisers and did not make this change on a whim but I just new, in my heart that I was going in the wrong direction. My change was (is?) reversible if I really wanted to.

CJ.

Last edited by cejay; 02-05-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added context
Old 02-05-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

So I did this/am doing this. I guess it's official now: I have done this. Whoop!

Basically I'd put myself in a position while drinking where my best move was to start my own business rather than try to get hired again. I work in a creative field so this way I can let my work speak for itself rather than letting the hole in my resume drop me back a few levels in the hierarchy. As a result, I'm working in a lot of different capacities, some of which I didn't know how to do seven months ago.

My takeaway:

Pros: It's given me a real sense of purpose. I am working every day to get myself on solid ground, and that makes my sobriety a tangibly necessary thing in my life. There is no way in hell I could be doing this and drinking at the same time. I'm never bored, I'm never tempted to think "what harm could it do?" because it is very clear what I have to lose. And so it makes life exciting! I get to dream big and see myself moving towards that reality. And I'm proud of myself. I am in an objectively better place than I was last year in just about every way, and sobriety is the foundation for all of that.

Cons: I am SO TIRED. All the time. I'm working at 125% and I'm doing that with a rusty, PAWS-y brain, an easily fatigued body, roller coaster emotions, and all the other joyful side effects of early sobriety. I basically don't have a social life. There are days where I'm trying really hard to learn new things and it just isn't working. I'm often panicked, behind on my deadlines, promising things I'm not sure I can deliver, or all three. I'm only now starting to maybe sort of see a horizon in the future where I can start to scale back how hard I'm working and still be OK. But right now my definition of "scale back" is "spend less time on paid projects and more time on skills development" rather than "ride my bike and have fun." This would probably be true any time you're starting a new business, but it's definitely magnified by the fact that I'm just slower and less effective than I might be at other points in my life.

Take from that what you will. If I'd had a choice, I think I would've waited. That said, it's been an incredible experience. I feel like one of the core things in early sobriety is learning how to trust yourself, and learning how to be a person worth trusting. I'm building that relationship with myself every day. I'm learning how to be a person who shows up, even when the only person who really benefits or suffers from that is me. That is a complete 180 from where I was a year ago. A year ago, I'd show up for everyone else, then go home and drink myself away until someone called me. I did not have my own internal purpose. In that way this process has been golden.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think it's up to you. If you do make a big change, I think you need to honestly know that it's the right thing to do, rather than it being from a wishful idea that it will fix everything.

I'd also say, only do it if you have a safety net in place. I made a big change recently relocating to an area I've always wanted to live in. I made arrangements with my company to work remotely, found somewhere to live, moved.... and then unexpectedly lost my job one week later (the company folded).

Before, I was in an area where I could get other work very quickly. Now, there's very little around here so it could take some time. As a stop gap I've taken a low paid job which isn't at all what I want to do. It doesn't even cover all my outgoings but it covers something.

However, I have savings which are enough to live on for a year if I have to, so I have time to find a new job and I can still enjoy the fact that I relocated. But it would have been a disaster if I hadn't had the safety net.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am having to make huge life changes but not out of choice; my husband filed for divorce. I think if it's a good change (though "good" changes are stressful, too), you can make it a part of your new, sober life. In the next 6 months, will have to sell my house, find a way to support myself after being a SAHM for 20 years, and say goodbye to my triplets as they leave for college. I say do it when you feel ready, whether it's 2 months or 2 years.