Notices

The little things

Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The little things

I didn't notice until now but it is nice not having to go through my house and fill up trash bags full of beer cans trying to get them out into the dumpster before people come over. Or being embarrassed that I missed some in odd places like in the shower or beside the toilet or on the bookshelf just places that normal people would not have it empty beer cans
Old 01-29-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I totally agree. My life is disorganized enough without a million empties all over everything!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Funny -- not a beer drinker, but a few weeks after I stopped someone had found a few empty canned alike drinks and left them on the bookshelf -- not sure who and nothing was said, but point taken....
Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Funny -- not a beer drinker, but a few weeks after I stopped someone had found a few empty canned alike drinks and left them on the bookshelf -- not sure who and nothing was said, but point taken....
I once found a couple of empties in my son's room...I felt so awful...we'd been playing with his hamsters and I'd just forgotten about them and left them on the floor in his room, but thankfully that is now a complete non issue
Old 01-30-2016, 01:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

What about the embarrassing clash of bottles when you take the rubbish out? I bet the whole neighbourhood heard my half-dozen wine bottles falling into the recycling.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
What about the embarrassing clash of bottles when you take the rubbish out? I bet the whole neighbourhood heard my half-dozen wine bottles falling into the recycling.
I would honestly take the bags to the dump after dark to avoid that so much! And hold them in such a way as to minimize the crunching metal
Old 01-30-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I shudder to think of the empties I've accumulated over the years. Used to just clear 'em out, outta sight outta mind!

Ugh and sometimes being too tired to clear them out and they'd stack up and I'd hide them in cupboards and stuff.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to get lazy and stack them on the kitchen counter, my gf would too...later on in the week id finally see the mess and count them by $ amounts, $2.50, $3, 2 for $4, would make myself sick seeing the money blown, but would clean up then go back to the store for some more.
If it were cases we were buying id wait till after dark also, seemed like there was always a party at our house but it was just the 2 of us.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

The other day, I pulled out a pair of snow boots I hadn't worn in awhile. Went to put my feet in them, and felt something inside each one. Yep, an empty mini bottle of Jack in each boot. Really?!

Funny how those little buggers turn up in some of the strangest places. Grateful I don't have to live that way anymore.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

So true. It may seem petty, but one of my biggest reliefs in 20 days of sobriety is no more worrying about my empties. No more being embarrassed about my recycling bin. No more driving around town to various dumpsters to throw them out. I mean, really! How utterly absurd! What a life we were living!

And what a huge relief!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

During my final binge I entirely filled my huge wheeled recycle barrel with beer cans, ran out of space and had to put more in garbage bags in the garage. It took me a couple weeks after I finally quit before I was rid of them all, meanwhile the whole garage smelled like stale beer. Then, when I cleaned house, I found a dozen or more empty booze bottles in various places - the garage, odd places in different rooms, places I had no recollection of using as stashes. Soooo nice to be long past that stage in my life.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm just glad I have nothing to hide anymore.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So funny how we all probably thought we we the only ones engaging in these crazy things to avoid ridicule, only to find out that the tribe all seems to do the same things....

A big turning point for me was when I realised that I was the one who cared the most, and in many cases the only one who cared at all, and I knew. So who was I kidding???

Someone told me once in reaction to a comment from me about how drinkers were stupid -- drinkers stupid -- no way -- you have to be clever to come up with all these ruses -- but is a bit like being a con man, can't let your guard down for one minute or it all falls apart. Drinking is stupid, but drinkers have to be clever to get by with all that for as long as they do.

But its soooo tiring.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm just glad I have nothing to hide anymore.

Me too. And the time I wasted trying to hide stuff and then later trying to find it.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

i was going to buy a can crusher in the end and hang it on the wall so i could crush them save some space and i theorized i could recycle them and get some more money to put towards more beer .

I also used to line them up in the yard and shoot them with the bb gun with the kids etc.. and for the record i was not too drunk when i did this!

after sobering up tho I found cans all over the place i'd use them as ashtrays too so many where over flowing with cigarette butts in various places around the yard garage and front door area. I found cans under the deck in the yard etc for years after i quit I bet i could still find a stray can somewhere.

Here is the kicker. I thought after sobering up that my piggish behaiviors would clear up that maybe i was simply a pig cuse i was too drunk to give a crap all the time. NOPE i'm still a pig even now that i'm sober. I'm chalking it up to scatter brained ADD type stuff. I cant stay on task so everythigns always half way done including cleaning up a mess after doing a task etc..

My progression was a bottle beer guy till i realized cans are much lighter and dont shatter and crush they also dont clank around alot making that dead give away i'm an alcholic noise everytime you take out the trash.

I thankfully dont have this problem anymore. NOw its banana boxes however. i eat so many dang bananas i'm constantly having to burn these boxes and such.