Notices

I had paws,does it come back?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had paws,does it come back?

I had been sober for 3 months,after a couple days into my third month I started feeling really sad,Iccouldn't sleep,I tried going to bed but couldn't like my body just became irritable,I fekt shaky inside,after two weeks of going through it,Igave up and sstarted drinking again,I only drunk 6 or 7 times out of a month and I started to feel normal again,later Iffound out I was going through paws,I been sober for 15 days now,I was wondering will I get paws again,also if I would've known paws was part of my sobriety I would've never ever relapsed but now that I know im prepared to fight this battle!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure any of us is qualified to answer your question with any authority sobriety26.

My persona;l experience is I only had PAWS for a little while, on a day to day basis, and I did not drink again.

There are ways to deal better with PAWs if it flares up again though - this link is a good one

PAWS | Digital Dharma

D
Old 01-24-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations on 15 days!

No one can say for sure if or when you might get PAWS. Make SoberRecovery part of your plan, and come here when you get cravings!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Understanding PAWS can really help in early sobriety. Well done on educating yourself! Now you know more of what to look out for this time around.

There's a great book that helped me in my first year. It's called Staying Sober by Terence Gorski. It's all about avoiding relapse and identifying and handling PAWS.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think in recovery we are all different but experience many of the same issues along the way with our bodies, I personally do not put a time stamp on how I should be doing at any time, I roll with each day and face whatever challenge from within as it happens and when necessary deal with it, talk to professionals if it's really bothering me or friends on lighter stuff. Here is an article I found some time ago but it doesn't really answer your question specifically, I believe because once again each of our journeys are a little different Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies
Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for replying back!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

i dunno something like 6 or 7 months in i asked a doc why i felt the way that I did and he told me I could still be having withdrawels. I told him thats BS!! In hindsite he was probably right. I just didnt understand how that could be?

I think tho at some point PAWS transitions into basicly learning how to cope and deal with life and it can be rather RAW learning how to do that for a while.

The good news is it gets easier and doesnt last for ever. Life doesnt really change much but how you deal with it does. and how it affects you or how you allow it to affect you changes.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

I am not necessarily taken by the term/condition "PAWS". I think often we and/or professionals try and label certain traits with a condition. Basically no matter what we are feeling, if you just treat ourselves with compassion, eat well, exercise and deal with life and our emotions it will pass. Unfortunately, if we are feeling wonderful, that feeling will pass also. I have spent many years for the most part sober, but also with some bad lapses. Early on I "studied", labeled, and immersed myself in things to do to get over drinking and get in recovery. I found over time that sometimes the harder I worked at "it", the greater the obsession became along with the associated ill feelings. My experience is that an obsession not to do something is in turn and obsession to do it or still an obsession with it. What finally works for me in my life experience is to not obsess with not doing something or the "condition", but instead focus on other healthy things and life itself. I focus on these other things with the understanding that I can't do the things I really want if I drink. Drinking is not an option for me to pursue life goals as alcohol just does not work in my system like it does others. I really just daily use the KISS principal and that is pretty much it. I do like to come here and listen to others experiences and from time to time share mine, but obsessing with the condition just does not work for me. Surely, there are some issues both short and long term associated with quitting or getting over an addictions. I just found that the solution is the same for most everything and that is just living healthily and understanding what I can and cannot do.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No one can say what will happen, but remember post-acute withdrawal can go on for up to two years, so at 3 months you probably weren't done with it, and relapsing set your brain back chemically. So it wouldn't be surprising if you find yourself with some of the usual symptoms again. It does end.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
I am not necessarily taken by the term/condition "PAWS". I think often we and/or professionals try and label certain traits with a condition. Basically no matter what we are feeling, if you just treat ourselves with compassion, eat well, exercise and deal with life and our emotions it will pass. Unfortunately, if we are feeling wonderful, that feeling will pass also. I have spent many years for the most part sober, but also with some bad lapses. Early on I "studied", labeled, and immersed myself in things to do to get over drinking and get in recovery. I found over time that sometimes the harder I worked at "it", the greater the obsession became along with the associated ill feelings. My experience is that an obsession not to do something is in turn and obsession to do it or still an obsession with it. What finally works for me in my life experience is to not obsess with not doing something or the "condition", but instead focus on other healthy things and life itself. I focus on these other things with the understanding that I can't do the things I really want if I drink. Drinking is not an option for me to pursue life goals as alcohol just does not work in my system like it does others. I really just daily use the KISS principal and that is pretty much it. I do like to come here and listen to others experiences and from time to time share mine, but obsessing with the condition just does not work for me. Surely, there are some issues both short and long term associated with quitting or getting over an addictions. I just found that the solution is the same for most everything and that is just living healthily and understanding what I can and cannot do.
I do see your point, totfit, and I agree that it can be unproductive to obsess over one's symptoms and worry about whether a "name" can be assigned to them rather than taking constructive action to relieve them.

However, for me at least, the post-acute phase of my recovery included a group of specific debilitating physical symptoms and mental functionality losses which existed independently of my state of mind and could not be explained away as being "all in my head" -- in fact, efforts to do so only contributed to the anxiety over "going crazy" that was part and parcel of the condition.

It was reassuring to learn that others had experienced symptoms similar to mine, that there was a name which could be used to group the symptoms together for convenience's sake, and that I could have hope of the symptoms going away with more sober time, just as they did for others who had suffered them.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks again for replying back,you guys are awesome!!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's good to see you back! Here's a couple good threads to join:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5760747

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5760338