Notices

Here I am.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I am.

Here I am. 3 years after I spent 2 years sober. 2 great years where I earned (finally) my college degree, moved to a new state, and met the woman of my dreams. I got married and convinced myself I had my drinking problem licked. I have spent the last 3 years of my life feeling as though I failed because I knew I couldn't drink, but I had everyone convinced that I could. Including myself. It took the past year with a pregnant wife and then a new child for my wife to notice that I drank differently. "Why can't you stop?" "You become someone I do not enjoy to be around ," "why why why why....?" I thought it was nagging and I would just get upset and desire to drink more. Finally, when my wife came home from work late at night and I was extremely drunk, having drank whatever we had in the house, the truth came out. I am an Alcoholic and I have been one this whole time. I need help. I can't drink safely. So here is to my first 24 hours of sobriety. To a new group of friends to help me live my life the way I truly want to. Time to get in the program again, and this time stay. I hope to hear from you all so we can be there for each other. Thank you.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

You'll find lots of support here, and if you ever need it the doors of AA are open to help you as well.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome StarWarsDad
Lots of support here and understanding.

By programme you mean AA, right?

D
Old 01-06-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

glad your hear you'll get lots of good support here.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do. I was in AA for two years. Sober as can be. Working every day on the 12th step. When I moved it was definitely for the better, but my alcoholic think got the better of me.....
Old 01-08-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol is one scary disease.. Who would imagine that you will slip right back into a full blown alcoholic after 2 years of full sobriety. Sorry to hear that mate As an inexperienced young person this only makes me think that alcoholism must indeed have much to do with genetics... Don't know how much you drink but i can't help but notice so many people in my country which is an alcoholic one live pretty much normal lives despite drinking relatively high amounts of alcohol daily and there is people that can't help but take it to the extreme..
Old 01-08-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

SWD - Thanks for the thread, very helpful and glad you're here with us.

Yes, others often ask us why can't you just quit, slow down etc!?! The implication is alcoholism is a moral failing. Nothing is father from the truth.

Recently I read Under the Influence which delves into the physiology of drinking and alcoholism with insight into how an alcoholics bodily systems metabolize alcohol differently than a non-alcoholic. Should be required reading for those who are full of guilt and shame because of their alcohol abuse.

I tested the waters for a lot of years - never close to quitting for two years, but had to keep trying to drink normally. This powerful paragraph in the book always comes to mind when we speak of such issues - "No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death."

You will bring so much to the rooms based on your experience. Keep posting and welcome - back!
Old 01-12-2016, 02:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SWD,

How is it going?

These things are hard to accept, but give up the guilt, it won't help.

You know how to do this, doesn't make it easy, but at least you know you can.

Good luck
Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and so glad to have you with us!

You have had sobriety, you know the steps, and you worked them. So, you are a leg up on this. What a gift to yourself and your family that you have chosen to get sober again.

You will find lots of support here, and SR will surely augment your AA work in good ways, as many here can attest to.

Lean on us in these early days. (Well, any and all days you need. )

Welcome again.