Notices

Ruined 55 days of sobriety last night

Old 12-25-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post

When did you get sober -- yes, on Christmas day --a real present.
That's cool
a present for yourself and also for the one's around you.

Happy Sober New Year

MB
Old 12-25-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by violetflame View Post
It was XMAS eve. Everyone was drinking. I felt stressed out from the day and from a situation I had with my daughter. I had no excuse. I just so much wanted to be part of the fun. But it was not fun at all. I just got kind of zoned out and drunk although my family didn't notice. I kept pouring myself more and more wine I must have had a bottle or more. My mom just thought I felt sad because of the situation with my daughter and that that was why I left. I don't want to drink again. I did not even enjoy it. I don't know how to tell my sponsor. She was so proud of me. Does this mean I have to start the steps all over again? I woke up feeling like crap and I have work to do. Oh well ....I guess I am back on day 1. Merry Christmas to all of you who were able to stay sober and much strength to those who are still struggling.
There's no excuse to pick up a drink. But what's done is done! There's nothing you can do to change that you drank last night.

With that said you made a good start by being honest and owning up to your mistake. I would suggest you get to an AA meeting as soon as possible or whenever the next available one is. Tell them what happened just as you told us. I would also call your sponsor and tell her you drank.

I would pray every morning asking God to keep you sober! Include reading the twenty four hour book every morning also. If you don't have one, purchase one as well as a Big Book.

I would also start reading the BB everyday also. Say two pages a day every evening or if you have time after the twenty four hour book in the morning. Start with the preface and read all the way to pg 164.

Do this as I have and you should be off to a great start! This coming from a former chronic, relapse prone alcoholic who now has many years of sobriety!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What is the 24 hour book?

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
There's no excuse to pick up a drink. But what's done is done! There's nothing you can do to change that you drank last night.

With that said you made a good start by being honest and owning up to your mistake. I would suggest you get to an AA meeting as soon as possible or whenever the next available one is. Tell them what happened just as you told us. I would also call your sponsor and tell her you drank.

I would pray every morning asking God to keep you sober! Include reading the twenty four hour book every morning also. If you don't have one, purchase one as well as a Big Book.

I would also start reading the BB everyday also. Say two pages a day every evening or if you have time after the twenty four hour book in the morning. Start with the preface and read all the way to pg 164.

Do this as I have and you should be off to a great start! This coming from a former chronic, relapse prone alcoholic who now has many years of sobriety!
What is the 24 hour book? I dont think I have seen it?
Old 12-26-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your back with us Violet
Old 12-26-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudgin

So there is Daily Reflections of course - Alcoholics Anonymous : Daily Reflection

And - Twenty four hours a day Twenty Four Hours a Day Softcover (24 Hours) -- Hazelden

Reading, meditation and prayer for each day.
Both books highly recommended - Daily Reflections can be read online. The other can be purchased as a book or App
Old 12-26-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's a little black book about 3.5" by 5.5" inches published by Hazelden. Where I'm at most AA meetings sell it and your local AA central office should have it.

Many people in AA where I'm at read it every day to start their day. At some meetings they read it out loud before the meeting starts. It's a very useful, simple tool to use to help keep you sober.

Each page is dated with an AA thought for the day, Meditation for the day, and Prayer for the day. You just read one page a day on whatever day it is.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

For me my last drink which lead to a four day binge, nailed my step one. It removed every last vestige of doubt from my mind.

For others, it often is the price paid for keeping a secret in step 5 or refusing to make amends.

Those are common reasons, but if we haven't fully understood step 1, we often believe we don't need to take the rest of the program as seriously as we ought to.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Violet, you had 55 sober days and 1 "slip up" day. I think that's pretty damn good. Just because you drank one day doesn't mean all your sober days are ruined. That's like saying you got all A's in geometry but got a D on one test so your A's don't matter!! And it doesn't mean you have to start from scratch. (I don't believe all the AA dogma that you have to start again from Day 1 even if you've had one drink.) You didn't enjoy the wine, didn't enjoy how it made you feel, and you're back on track. Don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing great!!