Notices

' Sometimes you fall down...'

Old 12-04-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

' Sometimes you fall down...'

The anonymous but very spiritual saying that,' Sometimes you fall down because there's something down there you're supposed to find' is never so true when applied to me and my recovery from drinking...

In my case my fall lasted 30 years including, at its height, the fact that I twice lost everything and I do mean EVERYTHING,! Other than my son and my ability, through the selfish , irresponsible actions of others, although I do accept in recovery that had I not been leading the delusional life of a drinking alcoholic, much of this could have been averted, it wasn't all their fault...

What I found 'down there' was my ability recognise and accept my alcoholism, still I think the most important part of anyone's recovery, whatever path or program they choose. Together with, in my case, the suggested 12 Step program of recovery found in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' explained by listening in conjunction to reading it by listening to one of 'Charlie & Joe's: Big Book Study Meetings'. Thoughtfully and with much gratitude, handed to me by an AA member at one of the last AA meetings I attended. Who, in his wisdom had realised that whilst the content of the book was for me, I really struggled at AA meetings perhaps because for whatever is said of them, good, bad or indifferent they act as a support organisation for 'problem drinkers'.

Which, in itself is highly commendable but, in saying this I'm sure many would agree with me, no one ever got sober at an AA meeting, you get sober by taking the actions necessary to ensure your recovery. Which, if you think about it is the exact opposite to falling down, in this case you , metaphorically speaking, fall up...

I've often regretted falling down, I've never regretted falling up, it's made my life so much easier in so many ways including the fact that I no longer lose things so easily or with such dire consequences...
Old 12-04-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice post Red