Notices

Familiar old feelings: exhausted; shakey; teary

Old 11-05-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Familiar old feelings: exhausted; shakey; teary

This morning at work I was rushing to make a cup of tea (in a safety mug - hahaha!) and in hurrying to push the lid on, managed to tip it all down my front. I quickly got an ice pack from the freezer and dashed off to get ready for the next class coming in, and the rest of the day was non stop.

At the end of the day I finally had a chance to check my skin over and have a lovely big blister on my stomach from the scald.

Anyway - I think it must have been a shock reaction, because I felt decidedly odd for a while after it happened. By the time I got home I was feeling shakey and exhausted and close to tears. It's such a horrible feeling, but also horribly familiar. I think that this is how I felt pretty much all the time before I stopped drinking (unless I was drunk).

Oh well. Early night for me I think, and at least I know this feeling will have passed in the morning. I may have a (big) sore tummy, but I'm also so grateful that this is no longer the norm.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wow!what a way to start a day,eh?
good to read ya seeing its only feelings that are temporary and will change.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ouch, Beccybean. Spilling almost boiling on yourself is no fun. I'm glad that there was an icepack handy.

Do something soothing tonight; a warm bath probably won't work but soaking your feel in warm aromatic water might be nice.

And there's always ice cream!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe treat yourself to some soothing, fragrant lotion for when it's OK to apply some to your tummy skin. And, like Leigh says, the ice cream treatment is always a possibility.

I know what you mean about having those moments that take us back. It's good to live here now.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Your post reminded me of the "battle wounds" I'd awake with sometimes in a haze of day after sorrow........both the emotional and physical.

How the heck did I get this abrasion on my hand/forearm/arse or forehead?? I'd have to try and focus to remember last nights debauchery.

Glad you're on the mend Beccy and it's not longer the norm for both of us!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm actually surprised that I didn't get more burns and scalds when I used to come home and decide that cooking when I needed to hold onto the cooker to not fall over was a good idea.

Oh well. Off to bed to read (hmmm - fall asleep reading more like). It's only half past 8 here and I'm completely drained. Might treat myself to some of those treaty ideas at the weekend though
Old 11-05-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Getting some rest sounds like a great idea. Some days it's best to just shut the cover, go to sleep and start anew tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gosh, it's amazing...because I've only known you as a strong and wise sober person it seems strange hearing about how things were for you before you gave up - like another person. Isn't it fantastic?!! Turning your whole life around for the better like that :-)

I used to wake up with bruises and grazes - if I was lucky. I've also woken up missing teeth on two occasions :-/ They were expensive to fix.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's not good Beccybean, sorry to hear you got hurt I hope you will be ok tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I still have the scars from my DFWI (deep-frying while intoxicated).

Hope you feel better, and keep an eye on it--burns can get infected pretty easily.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

aloe vera gel is amazing for burns Beccy.

D
Old 11-05-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi beccybean,

I got burnt a couple weeks ago draining pierogi s......I used bactine......no infection. Of course I was smashed.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I still have the scars from my DFWI (deep-frying while intoxicated).

Hope you feel better, and keep an eye on it--burns can get infected pretty easily.
Ohhhhhh my goodness. That doesn't bear thinking about. :o

I got some proper dressing stuff and tape from the chemist - am really hoping I manage to not burst the blister so it can heal nicely. Not too fussed about scars - my tummy hasn't seen the light of day since I was about 6.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips Dee and Debbie - I'm taking my Special Needs Teenage class round Ely on a 'Leisure Trail' this morning, so if they're all being calm and grown up I might get to pop in the chemist and get something
Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Beccy
Old 11-06-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

i got the bright idea after cooking bacon while drunk and high once to save the hot oil in a tupperwear..... so i poured the hot oil in and it just melted the tupperwear and spilled all over my leg. I had a blister the size of a basketball on my leg. Being the jacka$$ that i was i didnt bother going to the doctor or antyhing and lord knows i should have. Amazingly tho there is no scar really. I'm pretty stinking lucky.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Goodness I never once burned myself while drinking, but regular old clumsiness led to my worst kitchen burn involving oil splash to the face and chest. I never cook with hot oil but had to do it for work. Not a mark left thank goodness after frantic icing and salt and other internet cures... How are you today Beccy?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
i got the bright idea after cooking bacon while drunk and high once to save the hot oil in a tupperwear..... so i poured the hot oil in and it just melted the tupperwear and spilled all over my leg. I had a blister the size of a basketball on my leg. Being the jacka$$ that i was i didnt bother going to the doctor or antyhing and lord knows i should have. Amazingly tho there is no scar really. I'm pretty stinking lucky.
OMG - that's pretty horrific :o

You ARE lucky!!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Goodness I never once burned myself while drinking, but regular old clumsiness led to my worst kitchen burn involving oil splash to the face and chest. I never cook with hot oil but had to do it for work. Not a mark left thank goodness after frantic icing and salt and other internet cures... How are you today Beccy?
Thanks for asking Sleepie - Still a bit sore, but have it covered with padded sterile dressing to protect it as much as possible, and when I'm busy just forget about it so not so bad. I think the effect of the adrenaline rush was the worst part of it to be honest. x
Old 11-06-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
I think the effect of the adrenaline rush was the worst part of it to be honest. x
That can be a big part of it. I deal with anxiety and if i'm having a bad day anxiety wise, a sudden shot of adrenaline can really throw me for a loop. A few weeks ago I was having a very stressful day and trying to run some errands after work, and I got in a very close call driving where I had to slam on the brakes and narrowly escaped a crash. The burst of adrenaline ( which is normal ) on top of already being anxious stayed with me as super-high anxiety the rest of the evening.