Notices

My Own Body is Working Against Me - Again

Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Own Body is Working Against Me - Again

Just had to check in tonight because I've been struggling. All my life I dealt with serious chronic anxiety, and I finally got control of it after I stopped drinking 2 ½ years ago - partly with the help of medication. Now the meds have stopped working and the physical anxiety is back like blockbusters. I can feel it all through myself, head to toe. One good thing is I guess I did learn a lot about how to deal with my nerves, because so far I've still got control of the mental/emotional part of the anxiety. I can still talk to people without waves of nervousness taking over, and I can still focus at work though not as well. But my Addictive Voice is with me just as much as ever, telling me a drink would help. I've been able to catch those thoughts barely before they arise, to see right away what a Bad Idea a drink is, and to tell my AV to shut up and get out of my head. That's still working, but I have to watch out for that voice every moment. My doctor is trying to figure out the medication situation, but that takes time. Meanwhile, it's hard. I knew this could happen and now here it is. So far, I'm winning. I'm holding on tight, like I'm on some crazy kind of extreme roller coaster.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Passerby I am glad you posted here.
Anxiety is a real devil and I have it too. For many many years.
Sorry to hear your meds no longer work.
Really admire your abstinence from alcohol.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorrynto hear about your meds and your increased anxiety. Hope that you and your doctor can figure something out soon.

In the meantime, I hope you check-in here often; there's always someone who cares.

Great job staying sober!!!!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I hope this roller coaster eases up for you in time. thats kinda how its been for me. its still a ride thats for sure just not as jerky and a bit more smooth.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Know there is always support here Dave.

what helped me a lot is recognising that a lot of feelings are the result of fear, and that sometimes those fears are built on a whole bankful of what ifs. It helps keep me in perspective.

I also do a lot of breathing exercises and just regular exercise to keep me grounded.

If meds have helped in the past tho, I'd recommend you go back and see your Dr - maybe a little medication tweak could help?

D
Old 11-02-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey Dave, count me in the anxiety sufferers group too. Looking back at my drinking it was most definitely a ( failed ) attempt to self medicate as well. My anxiety is mostly health related but also social at times. I've recently ( in the last 6 months ) been doing occasional talk therapy and attempting meditation/mindfulness practices and reading. It seems to help manage a lot. I feel I will most likely always have some anxiety, but accepting that and knowing I can manage it really helps. Talking about it here helps too, I hope we can help you as well.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's good to see everyone's responses. SR is a great place to be - to be able to talk about it here, like Scott said. Also thanks Dee, for your point about fear. I've been learning to know my own self better - it'll help to look for the source of the fear now - the what ifs - to get me over this hurdle.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I get it too, Dave. I've had it really bad in the past - for years, and self-medicated with alcohol. Needless to say it just made it worse. Hopefully the doc can sort something out for you. I also think mindfulness is a great thing to get into. Anxiety usually comes down to believing in fearful thoughts.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The mind is always on high alert for threats its part of our survival instinct.......which blocks us from seeing a lot of the good stuff in our lives......just thought I'd throw that out there.