Notices

looking for the payoff

Old 09-06-2004, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for the payoff

Has anyone had there depression and anxiety attacks last longer than six months after they stoped drinking. Every morning I just cant get up I mean all I want to do is DIE. funny thing is after about 14 hours I feel better so I sometimes will stay up for days. I am a 26 year old guy who has not dated in something like 2 years becasue I cant handle my own life. You know that line of BS u get in a realtonship ( No realy its not u its me) sigh with me its true, and I am tired of feeling that way. Its just so fustrating. There is this new girl in my life who well likes me just the way I am but. I just have no feeling anymore I mean I am dead cold right now. So I will prob just ingnore her like I have done to the rest of them till she goes away. I am barely able to handle my job anymore I just got suspended from work for a week becasue I made a stupid mistake on the computer, (another thing I hate not being able to think). I was actulay happy thou I mean a week where I did not have to get up and face the world. well I have to go.

regards

steve
Old 09-06-2004, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi Steve...

Steve,

Have you considered talking to your doctor or to a mental health professional about your depression? If you're feeling so depressed that it's hard getting up in the morning, and then having days when you feel really up and don't need to sleep, you might possibly have a mood disorder caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. If so, this could be corrected by medicine. At any rate, you have nothing to lose by setting an appointment and getting an evaluation by a competent doctor...

Good luck with the girl.

Take Care,
Aimee
Old 09-06-2004, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have 2 doctors and 2 counslers..meds just make me sick..Its seems like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

steve
Old 09-06-2004, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Steve...

Steve,

There are a lot of different medications today to treat depression, and sometimes it takes a while to find the one that works with minimal side-effects. I have a few family members with bi-polar, and it took one of them over a year to find the right medication, and in the mean time they had troublesome side-effects including losing clumps of hair. But today they are doing much better because they survived the frustrating process of trial and error and found something that really helps. If your doctor has told you that you have a mood disorder, please don't give up seeking treatment.
You must be doing something really right to have remained abstinent for 6 months!

Aimee
Old 09-06-2004, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree Steve. If you've had trouble with meds you tried, are you sure there are no other options that might work. My depression/anxiety began decades before I started to drink to deal with it. But, once I got on the RIGHT medication, life has been much easier to handle. Have your drs not offered you any alternate choices?

I'm sorry for your situation because I know that without meds I'd be having trouble getting up in the morning again too and feeling like everything was pointless. Just don't give up until you've exhausted any hope of medication working for you.

Hang in there and let us know how you're doing.

Love, Anna
Old 09-06-2004, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree

You must give meds a chance. Sometimes they make you nauseated at first, but that part goes away. The benefits of feeling better FAR outweigh any initial side effects!
Old 09-06-2004, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Steve,

My depression and anxiety hasn't gone away after over a year of not drinking. I don't think I expected it to, any more than I thought I'd grow 6 inches in height. It does make it more manageable though, for me any way.

I've just consulted one of my voices for advice , and he said "Have you tried bareing your arse at a policeman? "

Hmm, I never get any sense out of that one. Sorry to hear you in a bad way. You're getting some help, which is good - do listen to the professionals and read up as much as you can, when you feel up to it, about the things that affect you.

And trust that girl in your life - she likes you for who you are. You need to as well.

I'm off to find a policeman.

Deg.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well thanks alot deg I am now writing from a termal inside of county with my new found lover bubba right behind me licking his lips and telling me to hurry up. LMAO
Thank for the advice, It just so hard to continue on sometimes, i am feeling a little better now sinse I have been up all day, What stinks about it thou I no as soon as I go to bed I have to go threw it all over again when I wake up. Well onward upward,
One good thought thou ( in my sick and twisted mind) we dont live forever ( was that a good thought I dunno lol).

regards

steve
Old 09-06-2004, 10:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Steve,
It probably is a good idea for you to get eveluated by a mental health professional.
If they determine that you need medication to stabalize your situation, it may be a good thing to do.
I had a younger brother that suffered from depression and I lost him several years ago in a tragedy. At the time I didn;t know much about the mental health system and I was against him being on medication because of the side affects that they can cause. I was in denial that he had an illness.
With all that I had been thru in my own life, I was sure that I was probably depressed or may have suffered from ptsd.
My evaluation at the brooklyn VA shows me to be normal though.
I do, however, suffer from anxiety and depression at times but not to the extent that requires medication.
My problem is alcohol and what works for me is the fellowship of AA.
It is important to get properly diagnosed.
Best of luck to you.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by labyrinth
Well thanks alot deg I am now writing from a termal inside of county with my new found lover bubba right behind me licking his lips and telling me to hurry up. LMAO

steve
Sounds like you still have a little "sense of humor"left!! LOL
There are alot of meds for depression out there.Like the rest have said...it just takes time to find the right one.
Run...dont walk and get to your Doctor to get started on something.
They do help!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey steve. i just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. i have never identified with a post like i have with yours. i am a female version of you. i'm 26 years old and have been dealing with anxiety, severe depression and alcohol abuse for about 3 years now (its pretty much always been a problem but the last 3 years things have gotten bad!) i have had to drop out of grad school twice now and dating seems out of the question. it doesn't even cross my mind. its like i've just completely taken myself out of the game. things aren't getting better, i just haven't really been committed to it yet. but i'm not giving up. hang in there steve!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just a couple questons.
I'm assuming you haven't had to use alcohol in six months. I'm not saying you shouldn't have doctors or counselors, or consult with another doctor in the future. But my question is, besides going to doctors and counselors, have you taken any other steps toward getting sober, like the ones AA offers? I've known people in the past who will BS the hell out of a doctor or a counselor, but it's kind of hard to BS another drunk while working the 12 steps, going to meetings and staying in contact with other drunks. Sooner or later you'll get busted.

Often times stopping the drinking is the easy part.