Notices

Day One

Old 09-24-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

I'm on day one. I just came to terms with my alcoholism recently. I drank moderately for years, with the average number of daily drinks slowly increasing. I used to count my drinks but that became depressing once I started blowing the doors off of my weekly limit. I quit marijuana recently and that's when things really took a dive. This wasn't the first time that's happened though. I quit pot once before and the drinking increased to completely unacceptable levels but I coped by just going straight back to the herb. I don't want to do that this time. I don't want a drink currently due to the insane amount of pain this hangover has created in my whole body, and Im not yet at the point where I drink morning drinks. But I know that once I gain even one iota of health back I will rationalize why that one drink isnt such a bad thing, why one more is okay, why dashing it all to hell is okay. I need help just not taking that one. Very badly. I'm familiar with AA, but only 25. I have read the BB and have started to identify with much of what I read in there. I wish they had a young persons group though.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Simply.

I am right there with ya. I am on day 5 after drinking heavily and Ive already started to feel a TON better. More focused, I can sleep a lot better and function clearly during the day. I still crave that drink, but I know exactly what your going through. Theres a lot of support on here. I suggest keeping a journal after every day your sober and what you did in replace of pot or alcohol. Its helped me. Just think to yourself one day at a time and I don't want to feel sick anymore every time u think about lighting it up or drinking. Youll be okay.

Dru -
Old 09-24-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Simply. Glad you've made the choice to quit and join us. You'll find a lot of support and info here, consider jointly the class of September over on the newcomers section .

The fact that you have made this decision so young is fantastic as well. If you like AA try some different meetings, the ages and composition of the meetings varies widely. And even if the participants are older, they have the same goal as you and are more than willing to help.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish they had a young persons group though.

There are quite a few of them in my area because I live in a college town. Is there a college near you?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am right there with ya. I am on day 5 after drinking heavily and Ive already started to feel a TON better. More focused, I can sleep a lot better and function clearly during the day. I still crave that drink, but I know exactly what your going through. Theres a lot of support on here. I suggest keeping a journal after every day your sober and what you did in replace of pot or alcohol. Its helped me. Just think to yourself one day at a time and I don't want to feel sick anymore every time u think about lighting it up or drinking. Youll be okay.
Yea maybe I should give it a try. I was also pondering a video log or something like that. Thanks. Congrats on quitting. I wish you all the best. Day 5 is impressive from my vantage point.

Welcome to SR Simply. Glad you've made the choice to quit and join us. You'll find a lot of support and info here, consider jointly the class of September over on the newcomers section .

The fact that you have made this decision so young is fantastic as well. If you like AA try some different meetings, the ages and composition of the meetings varies widely. And even if the participants are older, they have the same goal as you and are more than willing to help.
Thanks for the welcome. that's the hope. Yeah I'm not going to give up I believe in God and the amount of sober happy people in recovery is testament enough to its efficacy.

Zebra I really actually think that's a great idea there's a gigantic university about fifteen minutes from my house. It might be worth my time to call the Uni. I'm sure I wouldn't be the first alcoholic a university has dealt with.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And oh yes in a way I feel fortunate to be young. Thank you University for loosely defining alcoholism in Psych class. I should've stopped earlier when warning signals were appearing. Now I feel wretched, but determined.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 09-25-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplyNothing View Post
I don't want a drink currently due to the insane amount of pain this hangover has created in my whole body, and Im not yet at the point where I drink morning drinks. But I know that once I gain even one iota of health back I will rationalize why that one drink isnt such a bad thing, why one more is okay, why dashing it all to hell is okay. I need help just not taking that one. Very badly. I'm familiar with AA, but only 25. I have read the BB and have started to identify with much of what I read in there. I wish they had a young persons group though.

Hi.
YET = You’re Eligible Too. Like it or not because if you’re an alcoholic this disease is progressive and life long, never getting better only controllable by not drinking alcohol.

I’ve seen many YP get and stay sober from high school age up if they put in the work and stick with it. The message is the same if your 15 or 80, and for me the message is strong at face to face meetings. That’s not negating this site because there are good sober people here as well trying to show the way to sobriety.

BE WELL
Old 09-25-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent good luck on day 1 you have us all the way bud