Notices

A veiny chest?

Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A veiny chest?

Hi guys.
I have seen that since I quit drinking it looks like I have really blue veins all over my chest. And two stick out a little. Even when I was young I had this a little but not so bad. I don't know if it is from drinking or if it will go away, ladies did you ever have any of this yet never having been pregnant? I know it can happen if you had kids.

I know go to the doctor but I am not mentally prepared for that right now. I am convinced I have heart disease or cirrhosis. My last liver tests were ok but I still had this. And I've only quit for 8 weeks.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We really can't answer medical questions here Sleepie. Please see a doctor if you truly have medical concerns.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just wondered if anyone else ever experienced this?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My head is a bit like that but hair covers it. I'm not sure it's alcohol related - I doubt it to be honest, in my case.

I've had it basically all my life.

D
Old 09-06-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your head Dee?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah my head is very pale and veiny - or I think it is.
more than a few scars too....

Luckily I still have a decent head of hair tho LOL

D
Old 09-07-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I've always seen my veins......my cousin can see hers, too...... pre-drinking days and now.....seems you might just be becoming more aware today
Old 09-07-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mrs Sw has a lil one on her leg I think it's just ageing Sleepie

Sleepie I know gong to the Dr is frightening etc but it 5000% helped massively in early sobriety

Can you go with a friend or family ?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess. My bf can go with me but I know it's just going to be bad news.
getting sober has sucked so far. I'm pretty sure it'll just be bad news from here on out and things I can't cope with. I had this veinyness when I was in my 20's, not to this extent though. I'm so anxious and of course I can't schedule anything today because of labor day. I've been to the dr so many times in this past year I am just a wreck, I can't take the waiting and the results it's going to make me insane. I wish I could just quit drinking and move on with my life but now it's going to be just dealing with wreckage. I tried to have a nice dinner out last night with my bf but all I did was worry about my blood sugars, and was checking them for hours. They were up and down all night. I'm so anxious and depressed I'm not even getting out of bed today.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I suspect you put me on ignore so you may not see this but I am going to write it anyway. The upper chest skin is thin and delicate as we age and lose collagen in our skin areas such as the upper chest will start showing signs first. So more noticeable veins, crinkliness, and sagging are all normal. It is also possible you are dehydrated. Dehydration makes veins more noticeable.

Your sugar numbers being all over the place are linked to your stress and anxiety. You have adrenaline constantly pumping through your body. No amount of dietary changes will normalize your blood sugar if you don't treat the anxiety.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh sleepie... you know what my first thought was when I read this post, honestly? How you tend to make every effort to find and bring up things about yourself that are supposed to be negative, undesirable, or even pathological. No matter how much kindness and support you seem to get. Can you see the pattern? I think this is probably the main reason why you feel restless and miserable sober, because without the blunting effect of alcohol and drugs, you are aware of these thoughts and feelings much more keenly. And you seem to be very creative at scrutinizing yourself. Please don't get me wrong this is not meant to be criticism, just observation once again (as I made them before).

As for veins showing through skin... I don't really see mine on my chest, but my arms have some of them well-defined and visible. I don't think they have anything to do with drinking, not drinking, or any disorder, I think it's because I did quite a bit of arm workout and I'm on the lean side so not much fat to cover them. They get less visible when I put on a few pounds.

I agree with happybeingme's post above that part of the reason why you get blood sugar fluctuations may be anxiety. I am also anxiety-prone and know for fact that when I was relatively newly sober with lots of anxiety and changes in my life, my blood sugar went totally crazy at times and I felt the effects as symptoms quite strongly at times. Balanced diet helps, but relaxation techniques and activity help just as much. Maybe talk to a nutritionist (did I suggest this before already?) about what the best diet and intervention might be for you, and try it. Drinking surely won't do any good in this department (either).

On these various kinds of "self-attacks" you are having... well I am not sure what to suggest apart from some sort of therapy or counseling, but I think we discussed that before. Positive, inspiring activities and hobbies (eg. your art work?) as well. How about the hypnosis you brought up the other day?

Please take care of you
Old 09-07-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

Very strange, but I got the same thing! Around 30 days I noticed that some of the veins across my chest were more noticeable and blue. I was at rehab still so I was asking some of the other people there if they'd gotten the same thing but everyone thought I was nuts. Surprised to hear that maybe it wasn't all in my head!

In any event, I went to the doctor's and got some tests run (just for stuff in general) and my chest looks normal now so... I don't think it was anything. Bodies are weird machines, especially in early sobriety. Go to the doc for your peace of mind.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can see all of my veins pretty well, even the two arteries that run up both sides of my torso. Are you a thin person? I am, and perhaps that is why the veins are so visible. Have you lost weight in your quit?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My late wife's upper chest looked like a road map. It seemed to come up out of no where and we never really found out the cause. Our doctor called it thyroiditis. At the time we lived in an orchard and we have always thought it might have something to do with the chemical sprays they use.

It eventually went away and we never got a definitive diagnosis.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reponses everyone