Notices

Extended Leave

Old 08-26-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extended Leave

So, quitting alcohol and my stressful job do not mix at the current time! I figured out hmm, why do I always feel anxious during the day but not the evenings or weekends? Oh that's right my job!

I sort of feel like I'm being lazy or something but ever since I sobered up its so very hard to make it each day to work and then actually stay here! I have thoughts at least 3-4 times a day of just getting up, walking out and not coming back!

The sober life is rough but I know it can be done however,

Has anyone had any experience with taking time off to deal with the mental problems associated with sobriety? My HR dept told me that mental health issues (and I've def got some!) are covered under our short-term disability for about 6 months.

I feel if I continue on like this, I'm going to get fired because my functionality is basically 1%
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Adjusting to sober life can definitely be a challenge initially. How long has it been since you stopped drinking?

Many of us have underlying psychological issues to deal with once we quit drinking too. While quitting is certainly a prerequisite to dealing with the issues ( Anxiety, Depression etc. ) it is not a cure. If you feel that you do have mental health issues i'd definitely recommend seeing someone. It's quite possible that you could do so and continue working too, or just take a few days off at first if you felt it was necessary.

I personally deal with Anxiety and I've found that therapy as well as the practice/concept of Mindfulness/Meditation has helped a lot.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's been right around 6 weeks since I quit drinking

I do agree with you I think I did have some stuff going but was suppressed by alcohol. I never really noticed it at all drinking until I quit.

I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow to see what they think. I went in about a month ago right when I quit but I don't think I conveyed the severity of my situation I basically said, I quit drinking now I'm anxious, so they prescribed me anti-depressants and said see a counselor. I see the therapist tomorrow. I never did take the ADs because I'm a little terrified of them especially the side effects.

I guess I'm just trying to get some perspective before I talk to them about taking time off or not. I live in a remote area sort of and getting therapy is not possible weekly, more like monthly.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

What Scott said
Old 08-26-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I thought about playing the alcohol card, briefly, my first month sober.

I work in a job that requires a medical check annually. This deterred me.

There is a box on the form that asks....ever been an alky....ever took anti d.s?

Until I know for sure that I can't funtion and this is the case...by way of dr....I am not losing my super cool job.

Honestly, it has gotten better ea. Day for me.

Without this site and all of your help....I was going to be unemployed...for.a.while at least...
Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes! This!
I'm here with you. I loved my job before quitting pills and now most days is a struggle to go in and stay in. Because of my husband's situation i have no choice but to be here.
Everyone is commenting on how different i am. How unhappy i look. I can't hide my feelings. It's like I'm being forced to deal with learning sobriety in a crash course because i can't get time off.
Hang in there if you can but if you're able to take a short leave, that could be beneficial too.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Crash course in sobriety, wow that describes how I feel perfectly!

Yeah I know people can tell as well, I'm very very quiet, if I wasn't that way before and I don't chime in as much in our meetings with ideas like I used to. Too busy thinking about this or that, worrying about this stupid thing or that stupid thing.

I'll be sitting at my desk and my knee or hand starts to tremble and I think to myself, I'm gonna do it, I'm going to walk out of here and drive off! But then I say, okay just calm down and ride it out.

Happens too much during the day. I'm fortunate its the time of year where we are slowing down and I can focus on menial tasks otherwise I probably would have just walked out.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Take time if it's offered. I lost my job after picking up again and showing up drunk. I loved that job before I had quit drinking. I was offered some time off and didn't take it at the time. Please take care of yourself!
Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I took six weeks sick leave when I first got sober and immersed myself in AA. When I went back to work, I was fired and found all my stuff had been stolen from my locker. It never occurred to me to drink. The next week I had a much better job, with the help of an AA friend.

I think that break helped me a lot. It took away the pressures of work and workmates, and allowed me to really get involved in recovery. I never lost the focus of sobriety first.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand about the meetings. Something about your posts makes me think we might work for the same company.
I am also very quiet. I'm all talked out and I don't think beating a dead horse is going to help.
If you have a good position in your job, I encourage you to not quit. Especially if you've been there awhile. Sounds like my job where they also have a medical leave like partial disability short term of course.

I like the kite in the tornado picture/analogy. That's me! Blowing around and hanging on!
Old 08-27-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Were here for you bud
Old 08-28-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I kept going into work (apart from a few days off for 'migraines'). I wasn't functioning well though and things were getting progressively worse. In the end my boss referred me for counselling through the Staff Well-Being Scheme my place of employment had signed up to. That was of limited use to me, but it helped me to realise quite how 'sick' I was getting and that it was time to do some real work on my recovery. (Up til that point I'd been going to AA meetings, but hadn't asked anyone to sponsor me and hadn't done any Step work.) So... I put my ego to one side and asked someone to sponsor me. And I started working on the steps. THEN I started to get better.

The trouble is that, yes my job is stressful. But it's stressful for all the people there. And there is stress and anxiety to be found in all areas of life. I needed to find a way of Living without fear (and old resentments and sadness) eating me up, and taking over everything. The 12-step work has helped me adjust my perspective and things are a lot, lot better now.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you have an option to take time off and you really need it, I'd definitely consider it, but keep in mind that when you come back, everyone will wonder what is wrong with you whether or not they actually ask. Your responsibilities may change too, possibly not in a positive way. I was out 6+ months on disability during the final part of my drinking days and the first couple months of sobriety, and it was absolutely necessary for me but things definitely changed when I went back. I wound up resigning a couple years later, which was a great move but not something I anticipated. I rate leaving on addiction-related disability as a Big Move, not something to be done lightly.