Notices

Authenticity in honor of Robbie

Old 08-16-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Authenticity in honor of Robbie

He was all about being authentic and real. And to that end, I would like to start a thread that would honor his spirit. I am sure he would not want these threads to die out because he has parted ways. So.... I will start by saying that I never thought I could be so attached to a person(s) as I was in these Authenticity threads. I am a fairly rational person and I use the computer as a tool (mostly for work). So... I am happy, but a bit freaked out, that I can connect via digits and dots.

What about you?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Until eye to eye, we can't gauge authentic.

Robbie and Melissa found it.

We just observed.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wasn't talking about Rob and Melissa - more about sharing on this site.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No offence to you ArtFriend, but I think that would be probably best left to his wife here upon her return (imo)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you talk about being authentic in very general terms it would mean expressing your true feelings and saying what you really felt. I don't think that would always be such a good thing. Remember the movie Liar, Liar with Jim Carrey.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh well... I tried .
Old 08-17-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

It's ok, ArtFriend. I, for one, am simply not ready to write about authenticity now. I respect you expressing yourself, and appreciate your attempt to engage with others about the emotional power of the relationships that we form on this forum. Fwiw, I think Robby probably would have responded to your post, but he's busy, isn't he?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey AF -- first off, I'm glad to see you back posting and taking your path to a different level

Since you have asked our views, the very first thing that came to mind when I read this... well, a couple things. First was somewhat similar to Trach's note: I believe it's only possible to be authentic on an anonymous online forum to a certain extent, simply because it allows more or less just one channel of communication (writing). Of course because of same, it also provides means for many of us to express things we would be unlikely to express IRL.

Second thought (and this is something I often discuss with others in my 3D life) is that "true authenticity" is more an ideal imo opinion than something we can ever fully realize, for reasons that our intrinsic about human nature perpetuates (eg. seeking truth is a powerful drive, but so are denial, manipulation, etc).

The third is probably most relevant here. I totally get the attachment thing. I have personally experienced strong attachments quite a few times in the virtual world -- they can be powerful imo exactly because the medium is limited and it allows a great deal of imagination. But thinking of the general purpose of this board and you, AF... may be wrong but my instinct is that it's not possible, and will not work, to try and keep someone else's attitude, motivation, and social circle alive in similar ways, without them. Be it Robby or anyone. Why not ArtFriend's World? And let it unfold naturally, here on SR and in the rest of your world, using/intergating the positive influences from what happened earlier. I think many of us here have internalized quite a few things from Robby and our interactions with him, and I see this as a good thing, something that definitely has the potential to drive further growth in each of us.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Aellyce. Great insight here. I didn't really think it through before starting this thread. Of course there is no way to replicate Robby's input. And I think it was too soon to attempt something like this. Many here are still in shock and sadness (me too). As far as ArtFriend's World, well.... maybe it will naturally unfold like you said. Or perhaps we'll see someone else's...